app to hide contacts

Droidnought

Reaction score
Imagine, someone calls in crisis and is suicidal - I'm gonna want to have their address and their emergency contact person's info ready to hand.
Did you try B-Folders? It uses a password protected, encrypted, database. It has a built-in Contacts section that includes the usual contact information plus has a separate Notes page associated with each contact. You can dial directly from it, bypassing the normal Droid/Google Contact app. From your description, I believe it would do just about everything you mention except self-destruct after theft. I believe there are other apps that will do that to the whole phone.

I'm not associated with B-Folders, I just think it is worth looking at for contact list security on the Droid.

Wally

fm1776

Reaction score
What was your first clue?:ph34r:

:rofl3:

I'm really not sure but it was a good guess :rofl3: :rofl3:

In all seriousness. I have nothing to hide and don't lock my phone. My girlfriend can look and my boss knows i'm job hunting :rofl3: :rofl3: but apparently some do

My ninja skills: :rating01:

I don't know, I really do find it sad that so many people are doing things that they feel the need to hide from their partners.

:soapbox: alert!

If you've ever been cheated on, and/or had that 'unknown other paramour' physically attack you, resulting in thousands of dollars of legal fees and at least a year in the legal system while your life was falling apart around you, these questions just aren't amusing.

Sorry to be a complete downer and threadkiller, but these things do happen. Enabling the men who set these situations up is not ever going to be my idea of a good time. :mad:

AND I will bow out of this thread now....

Sure make a sexist, short sighted comment and leave; really nice.

First of all WOMEN CHEAT TOO!

Secondly, simply because you lack the imagination to fully understand how an app such as this could benefit men and women who are not even in a relationship doesn't mean the app is evil. Check your insecurities at the door please.

Just because you invite people into your home doesn't mean you want them rummaging through your underwear or the special draw in the night stand ;).

People should have the ability to secure any aspect of the personal information they want to secure (one or several pictures, one or several contacts, etc...). That does not make them bad people or simply up to no good. There are thousands of reasons honest people could be thankful for an app such as this.

Personal security is every ones right. And, though we all know in a perfect world no one you know would ever be curious enough to snoop, it still happens.

I am a single father. My wife was killed by a drunk driver. I have kids, who freely use my telephone (and are welcome to do so). I am not ready to tell them about a woman I have met once or twice. Wouldn't it be great for me to be able to hide all contact information about her, until I have decided to get serious with this woman or not?

Maybe you would handle it differently, your choice. However, if I could find an app that could simply hide files that I do not want others to see (for what ever the reason may be) I would have it. This would be my personal choice.

fm1776

Reaction score
Alas, this is one of the areas where Palm OS had it all over Android. I'm a psychologist, so legally (under HIPPA) and ethically, I must protect the personal health information (name, contact info, DOB, etc.) of my patients. Yet, this is just the information I often need to have at hand when I'm not in one of my two offices. Imagine, someone calls in crisis and is suicidal - I'm gonna want to have their address and their emergency contact person's info ready to hand. My old Treos (650 & 700p) would allow me to hide contacts, retrieve them with one quickly gotten at password, and best of all, if my phone was stolen (happened once) and if someone tried to get at the info - it automatically deleted itself.

The currently available apps on the Marketplace are inadequate/awkward/buggy, and seem to be set up to deceive, rather than protect. Yuck. Couldn't some smart techie write an app that password protects like the Palm did? That, and a memo app that's as easy & quick as the Treo's - google doc's okay, but not as fluid. Sigh.

The Droid is great, and does everything but tap dance - yet the things I used the most on the Treo don't work quite as elegantly. Surprising...

Maybe you could give JessiesGirl a consultation? Sound's like she could benefit from the services of a mental health professional!
:icon_censored: :rofl3:

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
people who snoop and accuse their S.O. of cheating for no reason, are usually looking for justification for their own cheating

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
App lock is a good app to password protect any app you have, including contacts.

ABRoark

Reaction score
You could change their name to something like, "Doesn't Exist"

That should clear everything up.

fm1776

Reaction score
I came across an app yesterday the is called BlackBook. It looks exactly like what we have been talking about. There is a free version and paid version. Both can be found at the Android market.

Though it also appears from user feed back that there might be a few bugs that need to be worked out before it is full functional.

Elyunn

Reaction score
It may not be for those reasons guys.

I am also looking for this option or an app of some kind. In the 2.2 firmware your contact pic shows up when texting. Because of this feature (which I love) I had to add myself as a contact for my phone. Well I know I won't be calling myself from my cell phone and would like to hide it from showing in my list.

3dw4rd

Reaction score
Hiding Contacts

You can set your Droid to save contacts under your gmail account then disable the automatic sync so your gmail contacts are not saved to your phone, but when you make a call or place a text you have the option of which contacts to use.