anyone know how to sync facebook contacts with cellphone contacts of the same name?

jimikeys

Reaction score
I saw the option earlier but i didn't click it now i'm looking and can't find it...anyone have any ideas?

jchammer123

Reaction score
You have to go to settings-accounts-and then click on your fb account abd choose sync with existing contacts or sync all. One thing you might have to do is change the names currently in your contacts to match what your friends have on fb, or it will create another contact.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Not sure if you are referring to the same thing, but I have two people with the same name on fb (family) and only one of them in my contacts. No matter what I did (added phone and email) I couldn't get the correct profile picture to display for the contact in my phone.

Needless to say, but I no longer use the fb app. Friendcaster is much better, but doesn't sync with contacts.

Sent from OG Droid sporting SS5.4 w/HoneyGingerComb and Chevy's lv1.0ghz kernal

OP
J

jimikeys

Reaction score
thanks i was able to finally use the motoblur version of fb but it sucked and it wouldn't let me sync fb user to contact list soooo i deleted it and went back to the original fb application and that won't let me do it either...i coulda sworn there was integration but there isn't... very weird stuff...but whatever...

motorola made something that was simple complicated...very unusual...

i'll keep playing with it.

Thank you both for the help.

jmdale1984

Reaction score
On my D2G, you can download and install the official FB app, but (even though it would let you select the option in the app, but not in account settings) Motoblur has somehow locked the app out from being able to sync with my contacts.

Guess they want you to use the junk Motoblur FB app. I tried it for a week, and I just stopped using FB on my phone without even realizing it... lol.

Once I got the phone rooted and ROMed, the official app would sync fine.

The reason I mention all this, is that we'll probably have to wait for that on the D3 as well.

wkearney99

Reaction score
It's been my experience the contact syncing just plain sucks. You end up with all kinds of duplicates. I've deliberately avoided using the built-in FB features because of this. Just use the FB app from the Market.

OP
J

jimikeys

Reaction score
i read google blocked fb apps from syncing with android...

xrp861

Reaction score
^ that's exactly what happened. Fb is butt hurt about Google+. Its shocking fb hasn't been blocked the same way thru google.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
This is absolultely possible on the Motorola Droid 3, or any Motorola Droid phone with Gingerbread at least, haven't confirmed these options exist on a phone with Froyo.

You have to add your facebook account with the default facebook included with your Droid 3. It should start adding all of your facebook contacts into your list. Obviously this isn't desireable.

Here's the catch, go into your contact list, hit menu, go to display options. Here you see all the different contact lists that are being displayed in your "master" list. Uncheck "All Contacts" under Facebook, and you are all set.

This absolutely works, and if you can't get it to work, you might be using the wrong facebook app when you go to add the facebook account, if you have installed the market facebook app.

I have also been able to accomplish this on my sister's Droid X which we thought you couldn't sync facebook contacts on either.

It's a bit tucked away, is different than on the OG Droid, but it works, post here if you have any issues.

Reaction score
Honestly you don't want to sync fb and your contacts. I use my phone both for business ,family, and friends. So I have detailed and correct records. People on FB don't necessarily create correct information on FB. Nothing like having a pic of your client get replaced with a pic of flower or their dead grandma because that is what they are currently using as their profile pic. If you want to connect your facebook friends in your contacts just put a link to the URL in your notes. Much safer on your data.

Reaction score
Not sure if the OP got what he needed but there is a way to link two contacts in your phone together. If you have someone in your phone listed as Samantha, and then you sync your FB contacts and that same person is repeated as Sam....so you have two different entries for the same person. Simply click on one of those entries, click options, select edit, click options again, select join, then select which contact you want joined our merged with this one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

AVNFAM

Reaction score
Not sure if the OP got what he needed but there is a way to link two contacts in your phone together. If you have someone in your phone listed as Samantha, and then you sync your FB contacts and that same person is repeated as Sam....so you have two different entries for the same person. Simply click on one of those entries, click options, select edit, click options again, select join, then select which contact you want joined our merged with this one.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Most awesome! Thanks! Having duplicates was ANNOYING ME. Now, no more duplicates.