Anyone familiar with facial recognition features?

nmcooke

Reaction score
I've seen "facial recognition" listed on many Motorola Droid spec sheets.

Anyone have any info. regarding this? Google searches revealed no functionality other than "Droid supports facial recognition."

Twoo

Reaction score
"Google also pushed for facial recognition, a head-turning feature that taps the Google cloud to bring up similar images when you take someone’s photo with the phone’s built-in camera."

Erich_F

Reaction score
Hhmm...the start of a Biometrics revolution in smart phones? I could see taking a pic of yourself to unlock a phone?

bots

Reaction score
Perhaps they are talking about the phone recognizing the fact that it is being held up to your face, disabling the touchscreen to avoid accidental button pushes. Maybe they are talking about "real" facial recognition, but I can't seem to find any more info about it.

Edit: A lot of the info I've found searching seems to point towards "real" facial recognition, which will be used for auto tagging photos and linking to someone's facebook page from a photo. Seems cool, I can't wait to see it implemented!

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
Can you point to a place listing this as a feature with Droid? I did see something similar to this, but it was tied in with the Sony X10 phone. You would tag a person in the picture, and from there is would link to your contacts, so it would be able to recognize that person in any picture on your phone, and if you pressed on a picture of that person it would dial them. A "feature" that I think is high in "gee whizz" factor and low in actually practicality. But again, i saw it for the X10 which is an Android based phone, but not the Droid.

bots

Reaction score
There's an app that scans your soul.

Nah seriously just google it. I got multiple instances of websites citing this as one of droid's features.

OP
N

nmcooke

Reaction score
I was rather vague in my question.

What I was really wondering is if there were any apps actually utilizing this function, and/or what this function actually is.

I assume there are no apps yet, and imagine that it means as a poster mentioned that it can somehow compare photos by facial recognition.

Just curious.