Another Headscratcher

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I have another little problem. I keep having this little window pop up telling me that my charger is "disconnected" and to unplug the charger from the outlet to conserve energy. This thing pops up over and over again, several times in just a minute. Needless to say the phone is charging so it isn't disconnected. BUT, if I hold part of the charging cord in my hand, if I provide a bit of slack near the mini USB side of the cord I don't get this pop up at all. Unless someone stepped on the USB plug, I had no idea that a charging cord would start to fail like this. Anyone else experience this type of failure?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Jackzor

Reaction score
Get a new charger. Its got a short in it. One of mine do it.

biknut1

Reaction score
Cords

Get a new charger. Its got a short in it. One of mine do it.

If you do get another charger, it and everything else is much less expensive on Amazon. However, don't be tempted to buy the cheapest thing they have- some of them don't supply enough power. Buy an official Moto charger for problem free charging. Same goes for car chargers as well.

Jackzor

Reaction score
Chargers used to be covered under warranty. I don't know how it works anymore. I would go to a vzw store and ask.

Reaction score
I would go to a VZW store and show them. Chances are good that they have 10 or 15 or more of those things just sitting in a box in the back, and they'll just give you one.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This phone has worked so well for me, it's funny to think the first part to fail would be the charger cord. But I'm glad that it's just that, too.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I would go to a VZW store and show them. Chances are good that they have 10 or 15 or more of those things just sitting in a box in the back, and they'll just give you one.

Unfortunately I've already already ordered 2 chargers from Amazon and I say unfortunate because while the chargers were only $3.99 shipping and handling was over 9 dollar, so I wound up paying 13 dollars for each. Doubly unfortunate in that I opened the Droid Essentials box that I got with the phone (for free) and found a brand new charger (or two) in it. Geez!

So the effects of a failing charger seem to be that pop-up message about unplugging to conserve energy, apps that start themselves; in my case Car Dock kept starting, especially when I lay the phone down, and the phone powering up after pushing the on/off button to power down. Or sleep mode, whichever it is.

All of this carrying on stopped with the new charger. Interesting.

Reaction score
It's a known issue that these phones don't like chargers other than OEM Motorola (which apparently also includes your partially broken charger). If the ones you bought are not from Moto, I'd go ahead and return them, they won't even really be suitable as replacements should the one you found break. The forums are littered with posts about screens and apps behaving crazy while plugged into non Motorola chargers. It seems there's something in the charging circuitry that isn't shielded correctly, or in some way is greatly affected if it doesn't receive exactly the voltage it likes. (This is just a guess on my part).

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Do you know that the charger that came in the box with the phone is (or was) different than the charger in the Amazon ad, but the charger in the Essentials box is the same as the ad. The phone box charger had a wide, rectangular head, the part that plugs into the wall, with prongs that could be folded flush into the bottom of the head and although it does have the Motorola holo on it, but maybe it's an old model. OTOH, I wonder if the charger from the Essentials box isn't one of the all-purpose chargers that any device with a mini-USB port can use, maybe jiggered for Moto too, but I can use this plug with my Kindle DX and vice versa with the Kindle charger with my phone, although maybe not on a long term basis.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Update on OP. In a previous note I mentioned that the Essentials pack charger looked like the Amazon ad but, I received these chargers and the are nothing like the picture or my Essentials charger.

If they are actually Motorola they don't have the little holo-label on the USB plug. The only thing on the box that *might* mean that they're Moto is the model number: TC-MOT9V/8V. If course that could mean anything. And even though the chargers only cost $3.49, they actually cost me $13.48 due to the $9.99 S&H fee. I don't know if I'll eventually use these or not.

And I have a question. As a thank-you for paying that outrageous S&H fee this outfit I bought the chargers from, Newyorkcellphone out of Myrtle Beach, included, for free, one of those little paper-thin, gold, "cellphone antennas" AS SEEN ON TV! And the thing retails for $19.95 for goodness's sake. I suppose they can forego twenty bucks because this thing doesn't really work, huh?