Another case of Social Widget not updating

kevinkar

Reaction score
My DX has been reasonably good for a while now (either I am ignoring any oddities since 2.2 OTA or the phone is working correctly) but two days ago I started noticing that the Social Networking widget (which I have only set up to sync with Facebook) is suddenly not updating at all. Just sits there and says "No recent unseen updates" yet when I check my profile via a browser, there are plenty of unseen updates showing.

The ONLY thing I do with my phone is charge it up and turn it off every other day to reboot. Otherwise, it's just used for phone calls, texting, web browsing and use of a few apps.

So I am at a loss to see why it's not updating like it has been. I didn't change any settings, have not loaded up the Facebook app so there shouldn't be any conflicts.

While there's probably no real fix other than to just try some settings, changing them and changing them back to what they should be, I just wanted to point out that I am experiencing this issue all of a sudden.

It's odd.

Kevin

scott4nola

Reaction score
I am having the same problem now for the last 2 days. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden it just quit updating. Wonder if it is a system wide problem. Why would it just quit after working fine for months now? Anybody have any answers or suggestions?

Larzonia

Reaction score
I have the same problem, where it updates sporadically a couple times a day. No comments load anymore on each status update, and if I update my own status via facebook.com, the "Social Status" widget doesn't update either. I removed all data restrictions I could find to see what might be causing it, but no improvement. It seems to have started sometime after I received the Froyo, 2.2 update, but at this point I can't be sure. All I know is it's not working anything close to reliable.

Same issue of sporadic updates from the Messaging widget as well. It seems a power down/up cycles helps on occasion though with this one.

bkinvegas

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue periodically since I got the phone almost 2 months ago, but as of right now I can't even get the social widget to work. It's on the screen,it shows an update (I have both myspace and facebook set up) but when I click it to open it will open for about 2 seconds then automatically close. I've tried trashing the widget and loading it again but it still won't behave right. When it does close it still displays the same update as it did before even though it says there's 12 updates it won't refresh to the next one. I don't know what to do. I've rebooted the phone 3 times and it still acts weird, but the social network icon works fine. Anyone have any solutions other than factory reboot, already did that once 2 weeks ago and don't feel like doing that all over again, huge PITA.

Christy

Reaction score
I think I have the answer

I have been having the same issue with my social networking widget and my news widgets not updating on the Droid X. Here is how I solved it:
First, move your social networking and news widgets to the trash. Then, Go to Settings - Applications - Running Services

Then, find the social network widget and stop all services running under that heading (same for news widget). It will ask you if you are sure blah blah but just say yes.

Then, re-install those widgets to your screens and they should run just fine. Not sure why this worked, but it did. Good luck!

Update: This only worked for my news widgets. It updated my social network widget at first but then it didn't update it beyond then. I am still searching for how to fix the problem with the social network widget. Anyone else had any luck?

Valermos

Reaction score
Same exact here, been about 4 days now.

Tried what the above user suggested....no dice.

jgalvinjr

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem. Things have been working great for a long time, and suddenly my Social Networking and News widgets don't update anymore. It started last week, which is consistent with the previous posters.

If I delete and re-add the widgets, or add separate instances on a different page, I can sometimes force them to update once. But that's it, and then they're dead again. They just report that there's nothing new to read (which is wrong).

I'm almost glad that others are seeing this, because it's not just me. Misery loves company! Anyone figure this out yet?

Thanks!

lilmiss87

Reaction score
Another case of Social Widget not updating..

i'm having the same problem. please someone find a fix. i'm going to go to verizon one of these days and ask em what the deal is... if they have any suggestions i will post them... hope someone can find a way to fix this..i wonder if verizon even realizes that it's an issue..if they do know i hope they're working on letting the update-people for droids know lol. would be nice if they could update the phones and not screw something up lol..:motdroidvert:

Christy

Reaction score
The only thing that worked for me

So, after trying many different things, I finally gave up and restored my phone to the original settings and now it is working just fine. Everything is updating as it should. It is a pain b/c I had to re-do everything, but it seems worth it now that it is working as it should. I had called Verizon and they said sometimes when the big push updates come through (like the one a month or so ago), they might change some things on the phone and the best thing is to restore it. It seems silly to me to think I would need to restart my phone anytime there is a large update, but it seems to work this time. Good luck to everyone!

jgalvinjr

Reaction score
What do you mean by "restore phone to original settings"? Surely not a return to 2.1! Or do you mean wipe it of all user data and start over? That seems pretty severe. I've put a lot of time and effort into getting my device set up exactly the way I like it.

Christy

Reaction score
You are correct. I meant that I wiped the phone and started over. It starts over with the last update it had as far as the phone settings go (I think it is at 2.3). I wrote down all of the apps and particular settings I wanted to remember to re-download and set, etc. Then, I started over fresh. It took about 15 min to do the wipe and restore and then about another hour or 2 to get my phone back to how I like it. It does not wipe the SD card so all of my photos and music etc were still avail.

It was a severe measure to take, but everything is working perfectly now so it was worth it for me.

lilmiss87

Reaction score
You are correct. I meant that I wiped the phone and started over. It starts over with the last update it had as far as the phone settings go (I think it is at 2.3). I wrote down all of the apps and particular settings I wanted to remember to re-download and set, etc. Then, I started over fresh. It took about 15 min to do the wipe and restore and then about another hour or 2 to get my phone back to how I like it. It does not wipe the SD card so all of my photos and music etc were still avail.

It was a severe measure to take, but everything is working perfectly now so it was worth it for me.

I restored my phone to factory state and it sort of worked..it's showing certain things...not showing the most recent status update though. i called verizon and they said it's not their problem, and that the facebook for android app is the problem. i went to the facebook for android page, and reported the problem to the developer, but i doubt that the problem will be fixed anytime soon since the last time the developer even posted on the page was like august 23rd or something...go figure that verizon would simply say..it's not us it's them... they could at least take it up with the facebook people and let them know something is wrong with their customers phones and that they're getting a lot of complaints about it. like i said go figure huh...:motdroidvert:

Larzonia

Reaction score
some good news

Ok all. I have two updates.

First. A couple days ago I figured out a consistent way to force the widget to update. All you need to do is select the messaging widget, goto the facebook selection, then click the refresh item. Once it finishes its red rotating graphic return to your social networking widget and it should've updated. It did for me everytime. There were a few times the graphic didnt stop the red circle so the refresh didn't occur. This makes me think the autoupdate part is broken somehow.

Having said that, today without any changes on my side its been working fine without manual refresh. Anyone else seeing it fixed magically?:motdroidvert:

lilmiss87

Reaction score
Ok all. I have two updates.

First. A couple days ago I figured out a consistent way to force the widget to update. All you need to do is select the messaging widget, goto the facebook selection, then click the refresh item. Once it finishes its red rotating graphic return to your social networking widget and it should've updated. It did for me everytime. There were a few times the graphic didnt stop the red circle so the refresh didn't occur. This makes me think the autoupdate part is broken somehow.

Having said that, today without any changes on my side its been working fine without manual refresh. Anyone else seeing it fixed magically?:motdroidvert:

yeah it's magically fixed itself on mine without me having to do any of the refreshing stuff u mentioned. hopefully it'll stay fixed lol. thanks for the tips though. if it happens again i'll just do what you said instead of wiping my phone back to factory state again lol.

dstrater

Reaction score
I think I figured it out

I have had the same problem and I think that I found a fix. First, I deleted the widgets by holding my finger on them and dragging them to the trash can at the bottom. Then, I went into settings> applications> Running Services> then touch the social networking processes (mine had two, "SocialWidgetProvider$Widget" and "FeedReceiverService"). When you touch them, it asks if you are sure you want to stop them and just say yes. Finally, I re-added the widgets by going to the screen where I wanted them and toughing and holding an empty area of the background until the widget screen appeared. Then, under "Motorola Widgets" it was the "Social networking" and the "Social Status" widgets. I think this was what fixed it.

Before I did this, I tried shutting down all of the other services that I had running from after-market apps that I had installed, because I was suspecting that one of my apps was conflicting with the social networking. I am still not sure what caused it to stop working in the first place... I still suspect that there may be a conflict with something else, like the yahoo messenger app or something. I restarted my yahoo messenger and for now, the facebook app is still working. I just tried restarting my "ebuddy" app and everything still works too. If I find the conflict, I will post it.