Android SDK

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I install and unzip android SDK to a folder and go to the program the SDKsetup.exe isn't listed. What do I do?

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Ok I was told to download this program so I can take screenshots on my X. However, I can't even find the program at all. It is not even showing in my add/remove programs list. Any idea where this is? I think I would like to uninstall it if it is not even going to show in my All Programs list or add/remove programs.

dyrelogan

Reaction score
No I didn't root my phone. Have no idea what that is and I don't want to void my warranty to find out. I just want a non rooted screen capture utility. I went to a website to find out about it, but of course it was only written for those who are into language other than straight forward beginners who have never even heard of SDK's either. I just wish someone would just once think about the person who is not all that tech savvy and explain things a little less vague.

c1im8er

Reaction score
The first link walks you through installation of the SDK: Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central
You can stop when you get to: "First test: Back up your apps"

The second link walks you through using the SDK to take a screen shot: Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central

This was the most user-friendly guide I was able to find for non-rooted phones.

As for not being able to find the sdk in your add/remove programs list- the SDK is not a program that is traditionally installed. As is outlined in the first link, you copy the folder with the sdk files to the directory you have chosen and run the desired parts of the SDK.

Feel free to reply with any more questions- I just went through this process last week.

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Never mind. Thanks though. I am going back to my BB Storm. At least I was able to take screenshots on that phone without doing all this going here, installing this, tweaking that, rooting this, rooting that, stand on your head, count to 1,000, jump up and down, clap your hands, put you left foot in, install more crap, just to take a fricking screenshot. I am done with droid... I guess Droid DOESN'T!... unless you void your warranty by this rooting stuff or do all that above.

c1im8er

Reaction score
To each his/her own....

But it should only take all of 5-10 minutes of your time to go through the process and people on this forum will be more than happy to help.

Following the steps on those websites do nothing to root your phone or void your warranty.

I'm assuming from your post that it is more than just the lack of easy way to take a screenshot that you find unsatisfactory about the Droid. But if that's really the only thing you are having trouble with it seems like a lot more trouble to go back to your blackberry than to install the sdk and get your screen shots. Just sayin'.

That being said, if you choose to abandon the Droid, I wish you luck and happiness with your choice of phone. I am a firm believer that regardless of what people say about one phone being superior to another- The "best" phone is the one that does what YOU want it to do in the way YOU want to do it and that results in YOU being happy/satisfied. For some it's an env3, for some it's a blackberry, for some it's a droid. Best of luck!

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Thanks, climber. Yeah, that's all I seem to hear about is hacking and rooting and whatever else people do to their phones. Verizon has told me that my phone will no longer be supported if I root my phone, and since I have had 3 Droid X's in less than two months due to faulty phones. It seems pointless to me to root. I am sorry for my attitude, I am just sick of companies putting something standard on a phone (Blackberry) and other companies you have to mod/root/ to get that feature. If BB could do it without the android OS and modding/rooting, then why can't android do it without rooting? I know it seems like a small issue, but I have been wanting to send screenshots of my phone's screen to friends who want to see my live wallpaper or an app I am using. Instead I will have to use my digital camera and do it that way.

nathanpc

Reaction score
The first link walks you through installation of the SDK: Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central
You can stop when you get to: "First test: Back up your apps"

The second link walks you through using the SDK to take a screen shot: Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central

This was the most user-friendly guide I was able to find for non-rooted phones.

As for not being able to find the sdk in your add/remove programs list- the SDK is not a program that is traditionally installed. As is outlined in the first link, you copy the folder with the sdk files to the directory you have chosen and run the desired parts of the SDK.

Feel free to reply with any more questions- I just went through this process last week.
I just loved this tutorial

CoolBreeze

Reaction score
As per the included SDK Readme.txt you know use the included SDK Manager.exe

The Android SDK archive now only contains the tools. It no longer comes
populated with a specific Android platform or Google add-on. Instead you
use the SDK Manager to install or update SDK components such as platforms,
tools, add-ons, and documentation.

In order to start developing applications, you must install at least one
version of the Android platform using the SDK Manager.

OP
Dj Carpenter

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I finally figured it out the other day though. I needed it for a rooting method but the one I thought was more complicated actually turned out to be extremely easy