Android Memory Question

hajabooja

Reaction score
I consider myself a pretty tech savvy guy but I just don't get this one. Can anyone explain the Running Services in settings. I understand that those are the services that are currently running. But what does the memory stuff at the bottom mean? The: Avail 57mb+73mb in 16 and Other: 45mb in 3? I just wanted to know where exactly they are pulling these numbers from. Thanks

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coming from BB I completely gave up my obsession with checking memory.... my Droid runs fast and handles it's memory well,.... with no task killer.

All I know is Android runs JVM (java virtual machine) for each app. Each app has it's own JVM that it runs in.... so the 16 might be how many JVM's are open... The nice thing with Android is if your foreground app needs memory it will automatically reclaim memory from one of the stagnant JVM's.

OP
H

hajabooja

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree! I came from Windows Mobile and I was always worried about memory. Not anymore! I was just curious..

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree! I came from Windows Mobile and I was always worried about memory. Not anymore! I was just curious..

No problem boss. My understanding on the OS/coding side is limited. The JVM's are about as much in depth as I know. :)

HeroNova

Reaction score
Coming from BB I completely gave up my obsession with checking memory.... my Droid runs fast and handles it's memory well,.... with no task killer.

All I know is Android runs JVM (java virtual machine) for each app. Each app has it's own JVM that it runs in.... so the 16 might be how many JVM's are open... The nice thing with Android is if your foreground app needs memory it will automatically reclaim memory from one of the stagnant JVM's.

For the first week or so, I was completely obsessed with checking memory coming from long time blackberry use.

After a while though I got used to the fact that it wasn't the same at all in that aspect and I got over it. I don't use a task killer either.