Android 4.0

vince4255

Reaction score
Anyone know if ice cream sandwich is coming to droid x?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
too early to speculate that. i highly doubt it as the bionic and razr will be out.

if anything it would come to the x2 over the x. seems like its an os aimed towards dualcore afterall

megraven21

Reaction score
U mean that Bionic WONT get the ice cream update? Why wouldn't it? How could they make such a "huge overhaul" to the android OS and not make it available to every android phone? I don't get it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
U mean that Bionic WONT get the ice cream update? Why wouldn't it? How could they make such a "huge overhaul" to the android OS and not make it available to every android phone? I don't get it.

the Bionic will get ICS, this was already confirmed, well a confirmed rumor at least from Motorola.

As with huge overhaul of OS, you have to remember some of the older models are nearing 2 years old. My Inc for example probably wouldn't be able to handle ICS due to it's lack of hardware. From what I can tell dualcore seems to be the minimum for ICS, but I am probably wrong, this is just what I think. Also, why would they put a brand new OS on such old hardware, they're putting it on new devices to bring in profits, so from a business standpoint it seems like a lost cause to put ICS on the 1st or 2nd generation phones

If I had to compare it, it's like trying to run Windows Vista on a computer made for XP. The hardware can't keep up with the software.

If anyone can confirm that my speculations are wrong PLEASE share it. Im just giving what I think.

megraven21

Reaction score
Too funny, I was reading that moto-facebook post just as you responded. Thank God!

I get what you are saying about certain phones not being able to handle certain features and things like that and it makes sense. I just hate that its not going to be available to everyone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Too funny, I was reading that moto-facebook post just as you responded. Thank God!

I get what you are saying about certain phones not being able to handle certain features and things like that and it makes sense. I just hate that its not going to be available to everyone.

Well consider this, Android is a very fragmented OS, at least the 2.x set is. Some people are still stuck on Froyo. What Google promised with ICS is that it won't be as fragmented and it should stay relatively consistent across Android phones. The problem with 2.x, is all versions of it were so different for each phone that it had to be reworked and then authorized by the manufacturer and then whatever network. Hopefully ICS is going to be more consistent across the board, that was a real frustrating thing about Android, promise of an update but it all depended on your phone's model.

As for hardware wise that's the only reason I can think of. Many of today's phones are coming with dualcore and so far ICS has only been said to be coming to other dual core devices (Razr & Bionic) so that's all I'm going off of. Also, with old phones such as my Inc, they're two year old technology and most people opt for a 2yr contract so it's time for them to upgrade anyway with a new contract. Fairly good timing on Google's part imo

D

DrivetheGreen66

I think I read that ICS will come to the razr in early 2012. I would like to see it on the Bionic and the Xoom.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I read that ICS will come to the razr in early 2012. I would like to see it on the Bionic and the Xoom.

You probably read that on Engadget or on the News page here

It is going to the Bionic as I read on Engadget, as for tablets I'm not so sure yet, seems to be optimized for phones for now.

googlelover

Reaction score
Okay, they have already said that any phone that is capable of running gingerbread can probably run ICS fine, so you do NOT have to have a dual core phone to run ICS. If it was only dual cores that would mean that the Tbolt and Inc 2 would be out of the ICS upgrade and those are relatively new phones. Any phone that has been released since the Droid X that is higher end is capable of receiving ICS, and any phone released since the beginning of summer will get ICS (higher end also) its just up to the OEM's to push the updates out. And it will be coming to tablets also, remember this is the OS that is supposed to combine the Phone OS and tablet OS into one.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I would think it is a pretty safe bet that the X will see a custom ICS ROM (especially since it still has great dev support) but an in my opinion an OTA would be unlikely due to its age. But that is just my speculation and I have certainly been wrong before.