Alienware X51 Windows 7 wireless keyboard?

recDNA

Reaction score
I know I am way off topic here but believe it or not I cannot get an answer at microsoft support or forums, dell support or forums, nor even the alienware club forums.

does anybody have a windows 7 X51 that works with a wireless keyboard/mouse (preferably a backlit keyboard)?

My keyboard works fine but if I restart Windows it isn't recognized during boot so boot hangs at "unable to detect usb kb device". I then have to connect an ordinary usb keyboard just to load windows.... then my wireless keyboard immediately works again.

Anybody got an x51 with wireless kb? Windows 8 is different so I need someone with windows 7.

thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I would uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your keyboard again. I've been using a wireless Microsoft keyboard for years and not one hiccup even if the PC is suddenly turned off due to a power outage. Make sure you're installing the proper drivers as well.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Alienware bios is a little odd. I'm concerned it is an X51 specific issue. The only drivers are those auto installed from windows 7. I not only tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers I tried it in each and every usb port.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd look up the drivers for your wireless keyboard and see about installing the drivers from their website.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Modtek has no website and uses windows drivers for composite keyboard. Xoxide carries the keyboard and I saw no complaints of this issue there but neither do they provide drivers. Remember, the keyboard works perfectly but isn't recognized during boot. One person suggested trying Logitech 2.4 gHz keyboard driver but I don't know how to do that.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Yup, computer is 2 days old and called dell support to be sure.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Modtek has no website and uses windows drivers for composite keyboard. Xoxide carries the keyboard and I saw no complaints of this issue there but neither do they provide drivers. Remember, the keyboard works perfectly but isn't recognized during boot. One person suggested trying Logitech 2.4 gHz keyboard driver but I don't know how to do that.

find the driver online and save it, then disconnect your kb and run the driver file (remember where the driver installs, you may need this later). when finished, re-connect the kb and see if its fixed. if not, open "control panel/device manager, find the kb in the list, right click, update driver, "choose location" (or something like that, browse pc maybe), browse to the folder you remembered from earlier then click ok. if windows thinks its a compatible updated driver, you will see it install. otherwise, it will say you already have the latest driver installed.

thats the only way i know how to do it, if there is a way to force it, i dont know.
hope that helps.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
I ended up buying a logitech k800 and m510. Problem solved.