Acer Branches Out from Microsoft; Plans to Launch an Affordable Android AIO

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
acer-android-haswell-small-2.jpg

While Acer is obviously no stranger to making Android tablets, for the most part their PC business has been all Microsoft. That is about to change, however. Apparently Acer is branching out and plans to make an Android All-in-One PC. Here's a quote with the details,

The Acer all-in-one (AIO), due to be announced next week, will pack an Intel 3GHz Core i5 4430 "Haswell" processor and run Android.

Acer confirmed the AIO with CNET on Thursday.

Expect this trend to pick up steam as PC vendors announce new systems based on Intel's upcoming Haswell and Bay Trail chips. Intel is already dropping not-so-subtle hints that Android laptops running on the Bay Trail chip are on the way and will be priced between $200 and $300.

Android notebooks? Yep, Intel says, and they'll only cost $200

Acer's new AIO system will go for less than $400 at some resellers, though most listings put it about $425. Some are higher than $425.

As you can see, the intel from Intel suggests they too will get in on the action and start offering PC alternatives using Android instead of Windows. With Microsoft so far behind in the mobile world, can they really afford to start losing ground in the PC world as well?

Source: CNET

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you pair an i5 processor with 1gig ram? Acer is a joke, always has been.

C'mon, for $400 you can get a better/more powerful tablet and a bluetooth keyboard.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Umm, if this could be made to dual boot windows, then I think we may have a winner. Also, it it could be made to multitask in a window mode, that would be nice as well.

Still, I wonder how fast a computer like that would be if it ran Android, like would the Quadrants be off the charts?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Umm, if this could be made to dual boot windows, then I think we may have a winner. Also, it it could be made to multitask in a window mode, that would be nice as well.

Still, I wonder how fast a computer like that would be if it ran Android, like would the Quadrants be off the charts?

That's a great point... if you don't have to be hampered by battery life concerns, then how fast can Android work with PC processors? Intriguing to think about.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Umm, if this could be made to dual boot windows, then I think we may have a winner.

Agreed. But with only 1gig ram it would struggle to keep-up just with Android power users, and running Windows would be out of the question.

Another great idea with poor execution. Realistically, you need 4gigs of ram for a decent Windows/Office experience.