A New Samsung Patent Imagines Smartwatches With A Secondary Display

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-rotory-display.jpg

Samsung has patented a secondary display for smartphones. Their idea envisions a secondary display that is embedded in the edge of the watch face display. This would allow users to glance down at their watch and gather possible scrolling information from this longer screen. If nothing else this feature would just be pretty cool. It seems to take the smart watch one step further from traditional watches. It would be neat to be able to read out an entire incoming text message as it scrolls across the secondary display. Who knows what other types of information may be displayed on this 360 display. This feature may never see the light of day, but it would be pretty neat if it does.

via PhoneRadar

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I don't know, maybe I'm getting too old, I can't hardly read the primary display let along think about reading the secondary display on the bezel.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Have you actually LOOKED at a Smartwatch? If I had $5 for every time someone said "the display is too small on those"...and then I show them and they say "Oh... that's not as bad as I thought, I can read that!"... I'd have... well.. AT LEAST $50!

:D

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The info the want to display would be fine that size.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wish samsung would invests as much in battery technology as they do in screen tech.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish samsung would invests as much in battery technology as they do in screen tech.
Not gonna happen. I could easily give a few reasons why not but to sum it up "it's all about the Benjamins".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
LMFAO....The smartwatch - for people for whom it's just too much effort to look at your phone.

NOW the new and improved smartwatch with secondary display, for people to lazy to tilt their wrist an inch to look at the display.

I'm just going to wait for cornea smartimplants...and save my money to pay Google not to show me intrusive ads.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Kodiak, have you ever used a smartwatch? It is too much effort for me to look at my phone while working, considering its usually hooked up to the radio. While still being able to access my phone for most info I need plus it keeps it out of harm's way.

Anxiously awaits Gear S3 Frontier for Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't know that I'd want potentially sensitive things like entire text messages scrolling around my watch. Even if the text is tiny, that still seems like a chance for someone to see something you'd rather them not see while you're sitting next to them on a bus/subway/at a conference table/etc.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't know that I'd want potentially sensitive things like entire text messages scrolling around my watch. Even if the text is tiny, that still seems like a chance for someone to see something you'd rather them not see while you're sitting next to them on a bus/subway/at a conference table/etc.
Don't sext in public.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That text will most likely be too small for the user to see let alone someone next to the wearer. I wouldn't like the feature myself.