A Couple Basic Questions for Bionic

xdaxdb

Reaction score
I've been running KIN3TIX 1.0 pretty much since it was released and I'm curious about trying one of the new ICS builds. I have been postponing it though because the terminology has been confusing me lately and I can't confidently say I understand what is going on anymore.

My first concern is about the bootstrap. I have seen plenty of warnings about not installing 2 bootstraps. Originally I used the Clockwork bootstrap. Subsequently I installed a few ROMS and stopped trying new ROMS after KIN3TIX. I also have a Droid 3 and I installed Safe Strap on that and liked it. So I wanted to install Safe Strap on my Bionic but I'm hung up on how to remove the original bootstrap before install Safe Strap. Can someone please clarify?

My second concern is this business of needing to be on .902 update, what is this all about? I got my Bionic the day it came out and rooted it very soon after because my phone spends the majority of its time in my Car Dock and I HAD to stop it from reading text messages with text to speech (Stupid feature Motorola) So I don't think my phone ever received the .902 OTA update... do I need to somehow get that OTA update before trying to install axiom or the kang based one?

Sadahiro

Reaction score
If you were using Bootstrap and you want to switch over to Safe strap, just uninstall Bootstrap and install Safe Strap. If you use Webtop, then switching over to one of the ICS builds will remove that key feature that the Bionic has.

Regarding the .902 update, that is the latest update that is out right now. My guess is that you are currently running the .901 update and the Kinetx version you have is the .901 compatible version. If you have updated via OTA and have .902, you have to use the compatible .902 Kinetx or else you will freeze your phone once the green Android guy comes up.

Ive been on Kinetx like you have and have had some thought whether to try Axiom or other roms such as CM9. But Ive had such a good experience with Kinetx and I love the battery life on it. I also use Webtop so thats one reason why I haven't switched over yet. For instance, I went camping this weekend and took my phone off the car charger Friday night, I was able to use the mobile hot spot app, browse facebook, and put my phone into sleep mode when I wasnt using it, and it lasted all the way until Sunday afternoon ON A REGULAR BATTERY. I usually get better battery life than most people with extended battery.

OP
X

xdaxdb

Reaction score
I guess I should have mentioned that "Bionic Bootsrtap" is no longer in my list of apps so I don't know how to uninstall it.

Also: Screenshot of my phone
shot_000004.gif

Sadahiro

Reaction score
Well do you still have the app? If you still do and its not showing up in your marketplace apps, then go into settings, manage applications, find bootstrap, then uninstall if from there. If its not anywhere there, then that pretty much means you dont have it installed

OP
X

xdaxdb

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked for it in both of those places. It isn't there. But it has to still be somewhere because the phone still boots into KIN3TIX and I can still get in to the CW recovery. Maybe my understanding of what the bootstrap is doing is flawed but without a bootstrap I thought there would be ZERO chance of either of those things working on a phone with a locked bootloader, without a bootstrap.

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Only the app needs to be uninstalled, which it sounds like it is. That doesn't mean that recovery is gone, as long as the hijack file and alternate logwrapper are there with a few other files, you can still boot cwm. You only need cwm to flash a custom rom, after that all of cwm files could be gone along with its recovery and you could still boot your flashed rom. Just install safrestrap and its recovery and your good to go.

Sadahiro

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've looked for it in both of those places. It isn't there. But it has to still be somewhere because the phone still boots into KIN3TIX and I can still get in to the CW recovery. Maybe my understanding of what the bootstrap is doing is flawed but without a bootstrap I thought there would be ZERO chance of either of those things working on a phone with a locked bootloader, without a bootstrap.
you'll still boot into kinetx even if you don't have bootstrap on your phone. It sounds like you don't have it installed. As for the boot loader, that's a whole different thing. The boot loader deals with what Kernel you can flash and the radio.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
If i was you i would clean house... do the pathsaver back to stock... wipe... factory reset... root... safestrap... then switch to safemode and play with all the ics roms... always good to start with a clean slate when going from bootstrap to safestrap anyway... avoids all kinds of crap you may not think of along the way

Sadahiro

Reaction score
I agree. Or just use RSD Lite to go back to stock. I have no idea if the Pathsavers work anymore

eye_dea

Reaction score
Yeah...there is no reason to use pathsaver anymore. Just use RSDlite to get to the 902 update.

OP
X

xdaxdb

Reaction score
I used RSD to flash to 902 then rooted, then installed safe strap made a backup and switched to the safe system and am now running axi0m which is working very nicely so far.

I basically followed these steps: (although now chrome is saying the site is using malware, it didn't say that last night, no problems on my end so far)

[Download] DROID BIONIC Fastboot Files (5.9.902), with flashing instructions

OP
X

xdaxdb

Reaction score
Now i'm just trying to figure out how to "restore" my SMS from a GB Titanium backup file into ICS