4G vs. Cable Modem

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So was wanting to try and switch my house to a 4G setup over my current Comcast. However looking to clarify a couple of things. Sure I have a TB and love tether with my devices, but for the day to day I would want the hotspot to keep the signal all the time whenI am not there for the wife and kids. But with the hotspot I know that they have a cap on the pricing. So then comes how much data do I use through my house. Here is my issue. Is the data used through the cable modem equal to the data that would be used over 4G. What I mean is I am using about 115GB a month on my cable modem. So ... to go 4G.. would cost way more?? Yes? Am I missing something?

Vyvid

Reaction score
If you are using 115GB with legit vzw mhs you will spend a fortune.

Sent from a SuperClean Galaxy far, far away.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Even if you were to tether, VZW would probably drop the hammer on you. I have seen some people use up to 30GB when tethered via 3g but 115GB is way to much. Also Verizon will be throttling data for the top 5% of users and you would fall into that category with that type of usage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are using 115GB with legit vzw mhs you will spend a fortune.

Yeah that is what I am reading into it as well.. If you have to pay $50 a month for 10GB then running a house on 4G just wouldn't be a good idea right now. Unless of course I am missing something and Comcast is just totally crazy with my data usage.. I am only running 2 laptops all the time connected, and then Xbox and Wii whenever I play games. Over 100 GB a month just seems like a lot.. idk..

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if you were to tether, VZW would probably drop the hammer on you. I have seen some people use up to 30GB when tethered via 3g but 115GB is way to much. Also Verizon will be throttling data for the top 5% of users and you would fall into that category with that type of usage.

No I wouldn't dare try to run my house on tether.. Yeah I have fun with it and test things out, but only use when I am on vacation or something. Even with free tether that much data getting sucked down would def cause issues. I was just wanting to use the new hotspot, but looks like pricing would be WAY too much for the amount that I use in the house.

I told my wife she needs to lay off the Facebook..

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep, Verizon charges 10 per gig after the after your allotted amount of data.

OP
wctaylor79

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome .. just think if someone signs up and then waits till after the first month.. uses like I do and WHAM $1000 bill.. and you are then past the 14 day return window..

r314bd

Reaction score
This was my plan too. I really want to switch to a 4G modem for my house since I live in a rural area where my only internet options are DSL at 1 Mbps or satellite with 2000ms latency. My area is supposed to be getting 4G by Q3 of this year.

Of course I torrent so much, god knows what kind of overage charges I'd face.

This is America dammit, we need our super sized unlimited plans!

Tacoman

Reaction score
Darn straight. If McDonalds can supersize, So can Verizon. If the Royal Fork can offer all you can eat, So can Verizon. This is America, not the Peoples Republic of America. We are Americans and we deserve more.

Sorry, I got carried away.

Vyvid

Reaction score
I'll be using 4g in my home, but I use a total of like 3 to 5gb on my phone and comps behind lol

jacobbond

Reaction score
4g would get way too expensive, your speeds would be capped, and the speed isn't as stable as a cable modem would be. Stick with your cable modem for sure.