3g

OP
drew96dawg

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I thought about throttling but I havent used much data so far (4.5gb's)

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I live in Lakewood Ohio, an urban area next to cleveland that has a moderate population density. These are from last month, but they reflect quite well what my speeds are in the general area of an approx. 5 mile radius.

Yeah, Verizons service is bad. I came to the conclusion that it is because they have too few towers. Not due to congestion, but due to bad planning and cheap implementation. There is a K-mart 2.5 miles south of me that has a tower a block away. When close to this tower I ALWAYS, regardless of time of day, get 2 Mpbs or higher. When a mile away, my service degrades below 1 Mpbs. At my house, well....see the attached pic.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I thought about throttling but I havent used much data so far (4.5gb's)

Although there is no set number for throttle point, from what I heard the "cap" is 4gb. You're barely over it, but if you're one of the top 5% (i think it was) on your tower, you will be throttled. Of course I've heard of some others going much higher than you, but they still didn't crack the top 5%.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Although there is no set number for throttle point, from what I heard the "cap" is 4gb. You're barely over it, but if you're one of the top 5% (i think it was) on your tower, you will be throttled. Of course I've heard of some others going much higher than you, but they still didn't crack the top 5%.

Idk, my son uses more than that and he hasn't gotten throttled. Maybe it depends on the area. They should clarify their standards on this.

Also they can't tell if your rooted by merely calling them, if they could, alot of forum members here would not get their phones warrantied.

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

OP
drew96dawg

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Okay thanks so much for that helpful advice!

__DROID_DOES__

Reaction score
Throttling

I'm pretty sure you can only be throttled if all of these are true...

a) You have a Verizon Unlimited Data Plan
b) You are among the top 5% of Data Users
c) You have a 3G only device (LTE Devices don't get throttled)

If you fall into all of those categories, then you are at risk of being throttled, Hope this helped.

drewrivera

Reaction score
Try *228 ing your phone. Option number two. See if that helps. Also, since your rooted you should look for a ROM that has a 3 g speed hack or something perhaps even av 6 super charger and turbo just to stick it to them. Or you can code it yourself since your rooted. But you have 4 g don't you?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try *228 ing your phone. Option number two. See if that helps. Also, since your rooted you should look for a ROM that has a 3 g speed hack or something perhaps even av 6 super charger and turbo just to stick it to them. Or you can code it yourself since your rooted. But you have 4 g don't you?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

If your 4G, DON'T CALL *228!!!!!! If you have a 4g phone, simply reboot your phone. Then the sim automatically does everything *228 does. If you call*228 from a 4g device, you risk damaging your simcard

sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

__DROID_DOES__

Reaction score
Throttling

I'm pretty sure you can only be throttled if all of these are true...

a) You have a Verizon Unlimited Data Plan
b) You are among the top 5% of Data Users
c) You have a 3G only device (LTE Devices don't get throttled)

If you fall into all of those categories, then you are at risk of being throttled, Hope this helped.

mykl376

Reaction score
For my clarification, does the simple fact that you have an LTE phone mean you will not be throttled? I have the Bionic, but I live in a somewhat rural area, the nearest 4G service being about 10 miles away, so almost all of my data will be over the 3G network. I'm not a heavy user, in my opinion anyway. I got close to 6GB last cycle because we were out of town and my useage was greater than normal. I usually leave 4G off to save battery.

I was in Palm Beach earlier in the month for a couple of days, with a strong 4G signal, and it felt like I was using a totally new phone. As an unrelated side, I've compared my 3G signal at home with my wife's iphone 4S on Speedtest, and she easily has a faster connection by a factor of 5. LTE is different I know, but I don't have the opportunity to use it very often.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I believe that if your on 3g most of the time you can still be throttled.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2