2.3.3 support? Anyone? Bueller?

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I know I hate having to flash all new software and reinstall and get everything set up as much as the next guy, but I'm really intrigued by some of the advancements in the latest build 2.3.3. Specifically the WebM support but kinda hoping we don't get facebook contact integration disabled. Ha. I really liked not having to add people's pictures to their contacts... Anyway! Just wanted to make a post to see if there was any interest or anyone working on getting 2.3.3 integrated into this ROM or any others if you've heard of it. I heard specifically from @peteralfonso that he'll be updating the Droid 1 GPA12 (or w/e the next build is) to any current master branch versions he can get his hands on. I'm assuming that means 2.3.3 when it becomes available. Just curious!

Rodeojones

Reaction score
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought UD 3.0.1 was Android 2.3.2. I just checked my phone and in About Phone it says the Android version is indeed 2.3.2. So unless this is a mistake, we're already running this version of the OS.

OP
bigwilly90210

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, Google has pushed another update of Android version # 2.3.>3< I was simply wondering if there were any plans for any ROMs to update to this. I assume everyone based off of CM or AOSP will resync with the master branch at some point, I just was wondering how soon it could be implemented in UD 3.0 considering 3.0.1 was pushed out less than a week after 3.0.0. Just wondering is all. WebM support for a mobile would be pretty cool to see.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I think LGB 1.3 is 2.3.3. I saw it yesterday when I flashed it dancedroid

OP
bigwilly90210

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
Hey Willy(from ALF)
What is WebM?
And is it contagious?

Ahaha. I actually get that too...
Its a horrible, destructive disease with effects similar to El Nino but applied to your bowels.
Lol, I'm just kidding. Here's a link of FAQ's about it though if you want more info... The WebM Project | Frequently Asked Questions

Basically it's a big deal because it is a completely open video standard that was specifically created solely for the web. It's highly efficient and any website that uses it to encode their hosted video can be streamed a lot better on a wide variety of devices and platforms. I would not mind this replacing Flash video one bit. (Flash has many other really neat uses, but it is not particularly efficient when it comes to video compression. E.g. try loading a desktop video on your Flash enable Android 2.2+ device. Runs like sh*t right? ha).

It's mostly a big deal to me because at least 75% of my computing I do in Ubuntu Linux so open source is kinda a big +1 for me. I pretty much only use my Windows half for gaming and Photoshop, two things it does quite well. There were a couple other changes in Android OS 2.3.3 such as NFC write support for the Nexus S (very cool, but not widespread) as well as disabling Facebook contact integration because technically it does violate the standard API control levels.

OP
bigwilly90210

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
I think LGB 1.3 is 2.3.3. I saw it yesterday when I flashed it dancedroid

See? I skip checking on LGB for like 2 days and they update it again! I was checking it daily for another minor update and then quit on Tuesday. Ha.

BTW, just a side note: Does anyone else think the idea of "Liquid Gingerbread" is one of the least appetizing desserts ever? :p

iamasongnow

Reaction score
i think lgb 1.3 is 2.3.3. I saw it yesterday when i flashed it dancedroid

see? I skip checking on lgb for like 2 days and they update it again! I was checking it daily for another minor update and then quit on tuesday. Ha.

Btw, just a side note: Does anyone else think the idea of "liquid gingerbread" is one of the least appetizing desserts ever? :p

yes omgibblets some1 else understandzzzz

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Willy
Good thing you just caught me on my way next door to visit the Ochmonek's.
Thanks for the link.
As for NFC, I am pretty sure, regardless of any changes made to our GB ROMS, we don't have the hardware in our OGs to use NFC.
As this was one of the coolest things about GB when I learned about it, but then learned we would be unable to ever use it.

Joker, Joker....and Beatles trivia

OP
bigwilly90210

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
Willy
Thanks for the link.
As for NFC, I am pretty sure, regardless of any changes made to our GB ROMS, we don't have the hardware in our OGs to use NFC.
As this was one of the coolest things about GB when I learned about it, but then learned we would be unable to ever use it.

That link prolly does a better job of explaining than I do. Ha.
I know it is, but I'm sure whatever devices are out when my contract is up (Feb 2012 if the world lasts that long...) are prolly gonna have it. NFC could be really effing cool if it was more widespread in America. It's kinda taking in Japan and Europe. Anyone up for hacking a NFC chip into the Droid 1? ha.

Reaction score
From Ultimate Droid on Facebook today:

No nightly today or tomorrow. Getting Android 2.3.3 merged and going to start testing of 3.1.0. Shooting for a new official release sometime Saturday.

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
I'm under the impression that pretty much most phones released post OG have the capabilities, and there is no doubt it will and in fact has started to become more common in the US.
NFC to quote Howard Hughes:
Its the way of the future.....the way of the future...the way of the future

Willy
Thanks for the link.

That link prolly does a better job of explaining than I do. Ha.
I know it is, but I'm sure whatever devices are out when my contract is up (Feb 2012 if the world lasts that long...) are prolly gonna have it. NFC could be really effing cool if it was more widespread in America. It's kinda taking in Japan and Europe. Anyone up for hacking a NFC chip into the Droid 1? ha.