Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I don't know.. it may be some app related issue. Could be the phone. But I suggest you call vzw and motorola and start a ticket as I have already done.

bprutzman

Reaction score
I don't know.. it may be some app related issue. Could be the phone. But I suggest you call vzw and motorola and start a ticket as I have already done.

I must say, this is very frustrating. The voice search feature was one of my favorite features on my original droid before it stopped working in about July 2011. I guess I will have to call and start a ticket like you say... but it doesn't sound to me like anyone at VZW or Motorolla really understands what is happening.

bprutzman

Reaction score
Speaktoit is not a good substitute

Speaktoit is not a good substitute. When I say "Call Walmart" it says that I don't have anyone by that name in my contacts list.... well DUH! If I knew the number for Walmart I wouldn't be asking, you, Speaktoit girl!

grrrr......

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Yea I first noticed it with my D2G and figured it had something to do with the Global abilities. But when I got my Bionic it still does it. It may have started when I got my bionic because I never really used it when I got the Bionic because I knew it didn't work. Few weeks ago I used it to get a # and tried the dial and it just worked, even with the +1.

bprutzman

Reaction score
Try Jeannie

Thanks for the suggestion, but Jeannie is no better. Again it only looks in my contacts when I want to "call walmart". Neither of these Assistants are linking to google maps to get phone numbers.

bprutzman

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to try VLingo after installaing and trying a bunch of these similar apps. VLingo seems to more or less get my location correct and is doing a fair job of understanding me. It at least tries to do a search for things that aren't in my contact list. And most importantly it doesn't add that bleepin-a-bleep-bleep "+1".

I really wish "voice search" would just work instead. When I get a bit of free time I'm going to go to a Verizon store and start complaining to their technical support people in my area. If my original hypothesis is correct and this is a regional thing in the south east part of PA, a brick and mortar store might be the right place to start.

clevertrevor777

Reaction score
+1

It's not a geographic thing. I have the same problem in Montana. To shed some light on the subject, the "+1" is an abbreviation for 001, which is the US country code. When calling a US number from overseas, you have to start with "001" or on some phones, "+1" will work. I believe the problem is that Verizon is assuming you are trying to make an overseas call when you dial "+1". That being said, I still have no solution to the problem. Maybe I will call Verizon and raise hell.