Zuckerberg cold on "dislike" button

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
facebook_dislike-100535452-large.png

For all those times on Facebook when a “like” just doesn’t cut it, the company is thinking about adding more options, though probably not “dislike.”

“A lot of times, people share things that are sad, or tough cultural or social things,” CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Thursday. Giving users a tool to express a broader range of emotions like empathy or surprise might be a useful feature for people who don’t want to post a comment with their own words, he said.

But a standalone “dislike” button may not come, the Facebook chief said, partly due to the toxicity it may breed.

A dislike button may also inspire people to post less, which can’t be good for Facebook’s ads, though of course Zuckerberg didn’t say that.

Perhaps Zuckerberg lurks here at DF as we removed the "Dislike" Icon months ago.

Dislike, in or out.. What are your thoughts?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I'm more of a positive type of person so applying anything negative would feel...I don't know the word I'm looking for. Tasteless maybe? Of course I also work in tech support where we are taught to never apply any negative tone or words onto a customer. I like the +1 idea or even the disagree buttons on here. Also, why are you even posting or watching something if you dislike it anyways? This is what I don't understand with YouTube videos. People will insistently tell Katy Perry or Bieber how much they suck out loud yet...you watched the video. I don't know. I wouldn't mind it but what would really be the point?

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Something's need to be disliked.
His official reasoning is right up there with the "every kid winning a trophy even though they played like crap" line of thought. What a sissy society we are becoming.

**Gets off his soapbox!***
***Wishes we had a soapbox emoticon.***

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
What always makes me wonder is when someone posts something that makes them sad then people "like" it. I know that the like button is pretty much just there so others can acknowledge it, but the meaning of like just gets lost.

I do like the idea of disagree and/or sympathy/empathy for such cases mentioned above.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
His official reasoning is right up there with the "every kid winning a trophy even though they played like crap" line of thought. What a sissy society we are becoming.

We have a disagree icon. It's a bit softer and gets the message across.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've had several occasions where I wished I had a dislike button on Facebook, but I'd be cool with more options (like we have here), because sympathy or something like that would've fit most of those times better than dislike anyway.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't think it should be a dislike button. People like and dislike different things. The whole like/dislike concept is too subjective. I totally see it being abused.

Reactions: cr6

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a dislike button. Sometimes because I just want to be angry, but sometimes its just weird to like a post like "I missed my flight today" or something.

I also, however, see that especially considering the amount of cyber bullying thats already present, it could be abused. It would be depressing to write a post and come back and find that 100 people disliked my post..

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5

I agree with this.

For example, no one on my boss' kid's soccer team can have a number on their jersey because they all want number 1.

Put a dislike button out there. Put a sad button out there. I feel if they are going to not use a dislike button, they are choosing how I should voice my dislike other than the saying dislike.

I am open minded though. Let's see the options. I know everyone isn't the same and responds differently to different situations. But if you stop posting because of dislikes or you fall in to depression because of so many dislikes, you really need to evaluate whether you should be posting at all.

I know that sounds harsh, but I don't encourage everyone I know to climb towers. Certain people can do it, others cannot. If you can't, I don't think any less of you. It just isn't for you.

Hopefully I got my point across without seeming callous.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
There is a like button. Not pressing the like button is the same as pressing a dislike button.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
There is a like button. Not pressing the like button is the same as pressing a dislike button.
I disagree. Because of the lack of a dislike button I am forced to use words. When I use those bloody things people get unhappy. Especially when their opinion is the only opinion. My desire to correct them on that fact usually gets me in trouble. :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If I like something I press the like button. If I don't like something I don't press the like button. Introducing a dislike button is asking for trouble.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If I like something I press the like button. If I don't like something I don't press the like button. Introducing a dislike button is asking for trouble.
I get what you're saying, but not posting the like button doesn't always mean I don't like something. A lot of the time, it means I just didn't see it because I was busy throughout the day.

If I wanted to express dislike & be sure someone knows how I feel, I wouldn't just not press like. I'd let them know that I dislike it.

Sent from my Note 4