Z4mod or RSD lite

delaneybob

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to Droid. A tech buff but I kept my a840 flip for a long time due to international travel and the Storm was not a good alternative. No more travel so I got a Droid-X.

I have read various posts and it appears that Z4mod allows root/unroot in case I ever need to return the phone back to VZW. I have used RSD lite way back as a substitute for Moto Phone Tools on the a840, so I am not afraid of a little technology, in fact I know Linux a fair amount.

My minimum goals:
- lengthen battery life
- control 3G
- install a GPS app

My ultimate goals
- customize the phone without bricking it

Everywhere I read, I have seen the warnings and examples of bricking the phone. I do not want to do that obviously so i am inclined to shoot for my minimum aspirations.

So, Z4mod or RSDlite to be able to root/unroot given what my minimum goals are

Appreciate the help

louy99

Reaction score
http://search.***********/search.html?searchmode=2&searchName=z4root.apk. this the the file you need to root. Download and install this app using your phone. Its a one click root process.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Great thanks- the other item is I noticed that WEP Wifi is not on the 2.3.3 Android build on Droid-X. Will rooting allow me to use WEP Wifi authentication?

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Kaspersky blocked z4mod download

Said it had a trojan from the 4share site- this expected?

huskur

Reaction score
Get z4root from here directly. Scroll down and you will see the link.

[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Keep in mind that if you are running Gingerbread that there is no root for it yet. You would have to SBF back to Froyo to obtain GB and root

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
I do not specifically need "Gingerbread, unless the version of Droid -X I have needs firmware or the like. All I need is a phone that has GPS, WEP Wifi (apparently WPA is only supported on VZW SW- I assume the HW is capable), and good battery life.

So it appears that if I root, I can not go back to "unroot". If there are other threads or other that have done this on "Gingerbread" 2.3.x would like to see if there are steps by step instructions

louy99

Reaction score
So you're saying you r on 2.3.3? If im not mistaken, that is gingerbread. If that's the case then z4root wont work.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Phone stats

System Version 4.5.596.MB810 Verizon
Model Number DROIDX
Android Version 2.3.3
Baseband Version BP_C_01.09.12p
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-g34b306d
Build Number 4.5.1_57_DX5-26
ERI Version 5
PRL Version 52363

If I am stuck here without doing a whole bunch of risky steps to root, then would like to know at least how to get WEP authentication working

huskur

Reaction score
System Version 4.5.596.MB810 Verizon
Model Number DROIDX
Android Version 2.3.3
Baseband Version BP_C_01.09.12p
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-g34b306d
Build Number 4.5.1_57_DX5-26
ERI Version 5
PRL Version 52363

If I am stuck here without doing a whole bunch of risky steps to root, then would like to know at least how to get WEP authentication working

Yes, you are indeed stuck. Only way to root from here is to flash your phone back to Android Version 2.2.1 (froyo) and then use z4root to do it and THEN use the 2 step method here in the hacks section to reinstall Gingerbread.

As far as the WEP authentication i cannot help. What are you trying to do? Log onto a home network?

powerkatwedel

Reaction score
delaneybob - It looks like you meant to have a link in there somewhere
...THEN use the 2 step method here in the hacks section to reinstall Gingerbread.

But "here" isn't linking.

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Hi powerkatwedel, that was huskur's reply on the link.

Back on Wifi: WEP is critical for me since I have old air cards in PC's in the house and they do not support WPA. DO I have any options? Lord I hope I do not have to down rev and root and do all those steps first time.

The Droid-X sure drains the battery though (I just had it sitting there) and <5 hours standby

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
Clarification

Ok I figured out the WEP config- ESTO (Equipment Superior to Operator) but the connection will not come up- do I need to move to another forum for help (at least for now since I am not comfortable rooting gingerbread given the comment so far)

OP
D

delaneybob

Reaction score
OK figured the WEP thing out- need to connect to WPA - let droid connect- then go back to WEP- weird but works

Lastly,
Can i get notified when Z4mod will support Gingerbread?