Youtube Subscription service

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
MAIN-YouTube-and-Netflix.jpg

Google has already strengthened its hold on the music industry with Youtube Music Key, which is a music subscription service, but now there are reports that Google is looking to further expand into the movie and television industry. Youtube has already been a basis for movie and television services anyway (unofficially), but now Google is currently making deals with studios and networks to provide content that can compete with Netflix and Hulu.

The Question is, "will this just be another Netflix rehash, *cough* Verizon Redbox, or will Google actually be able to secure rights to separate themselves from the pack?"

Source: YouTube exploring subscription video service competing with Netflix Hulu others 9to5Google

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
They need to get some current TV shows right of the bat. That will secure some membership. Then go after some big movies for quick release.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They need to get some current TV shows right of the bat. That will secure some membership. Then go after some big movies for quick release.
For me, I need the movies first. I pay for cable & am nowhere near confident that I'll be cutting the cord. Between the dvr and on demand, I'm not concerned with getting to see current shows.

Newer movies, on the other hand, would definitely pique my interest.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It took a little used getting used to, but since cutting the cord we've gotten spoiled by the ability to watch back to back episodes (binge) without having to deal with commercials. There's no way I could go back to watching the majority of tv shows normally. So what if it takes 8-10 months to release the latest season? It's just tv. I'd much rather wait than waste my time sitting through an hour plus of commercials each night.

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
No DVR here. I'd never get anything done if I had a DVR. lol
I had one when I had DirectTV and never had time to watch all the things I recorded. Plus you can only skip through commercials on certain programming. At least that's how it used to be....It's been a few years though so obviously that's changed? There are definitely times I wish I had one now that they make them for OTA programming. They're still a bit too pricey for the amount of time I'd actually use it.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you watch the on demand shows, some of those won't let you fast forward, but I've never had a show that I recorded not let me fast forward.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was taking about live content not recorded, but I digress.
But getting this train back on track...it'll be interesting to see if this takes off. YouTube will definitely have to provide exclusive content or programming nobody else already provides to make this attractive.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Eagleville with Netflix original series winning awards in competition with shows from traditional networks.