YouTube Live Streaming Comes to the Chromecast

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
youtube-livestream-chromecast.png

Although the implementation is limited to running from the desktop only, YouTube live streaming has now come to the Chromecast. It's interesting, because even though the Android app still reports an incompatibility with YouTube live streams, almost every live stream is actually working on the Chromecast.

In fact, there is reason to believe that this isn't quite official yet, because Google hasn't updated their support page to remove the limitation as it did for when they enabled private videos recently. Here's a quote with a few more details,

You can activate a live stream on the Chromecast just like on any other video – click the button and set the playback location to the dongle rather than your computer. It's not clear when Google will expand this to the Android app, seeing as it clearly works now. Maybe it'll take an app update this time.

Thanks to the folks at AndroidPolice for sharing this info.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
possible prelude to live nfl games?

chromecast-nfl.jpg

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
possible prelude to live nfl games?

chromecast-nfl.jpg

I highly doubt that. The NFL is way too overprotective of their stuff. You can't even say Superbowl or The Big Game because its trademarked. I'll enjoy watching the Google IO and a few other release announcements live when I happen to be at home those days but for the most part, I think its been their plan to bring it to the Chromecast and has finally been released.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I highly doubt that. The NFL is way too overprotective of their stuff. You can't even say Superbowl or The Big Game because its trademarked. I'll enjoy watching the Google IO and a few other release announcements live when I happen to be at home those days but for the most part, I think its been their plan to bring it to the Chromecast and has finally been released.

remember that story in the fall?
Google Inc (GOOG): Google's Potential Acquisition Of The NFL Sunday Ticket Could Be A Game Changer - Seeking Alpha

I think there is some teeth to the fact we could start seeing live nfl games via stream. From the start they will probably be the scrub games but it is a food in the door. Now I think the google deal with nfl sunday ticket may have been more for google fiber but I do see in the very near future (within the next 2 season) live games streamed.