You might encouter problems flashing ICS...if so do this....

jbg25

Reaction score
I was running DSB's Bamf Cubed 1.0.2, when I decided to try out an ICS Rom. But I had a problem...every rom would flash and boot into the bootloader but fail to flash the kernel and give me the following error...

"Main Version is Older!
Update Fail!
Press <POWER> to reboot"

Then I have to pull the battery and remove the SD card to remove the PH98IMG file before reflashing the old rom.

I have learned this is an issue with the Kernel DSB made being based off of a more recent base than the one in the ICS ROMs. There are several methods around this....but I think this is the easiest (since when the kernel update fails you cannot use fastboot until you remove the PH98IMG file from you SD card using your PC or another method other than your phone)....

After you download your preferred ICS rom, use a program like 7zip to explore the zip. locate the boot.img in the kernel folder and copy it into the folder on your pc where you have your fastboot.exe. Then put the zip for the rom on your ext_sd and you are ready.

Boot to bootloader

open command prompt and cd the folder fastboot is in

"fastboot flash boot boot.img"

Then reboot straight into recovery from the bootloader and flash the ROM. When it is done it will try and flash the kernel again and fail...but don't worry. you are good already. you will boot up with no problem.

edit: link to a guide on fixing this in post 5

Last edited:

MattHenson20

Reaction score
So like, if fastboot is located here, C:\Users\VisionTap\Desktop\CleanFLASH 1.0\CleanFLASH 1.0\fastboot.exe, how would I type this?

OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score
"cd C:\Users\VisionTap\Desktop\CleanFLASH 1.0\CleanFLASH 1.0"

everything inside the " " but not including

then the command above for flashing the kernel

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
Dang so I have to do this if I flash any ice Rom? Or will if im stock rooted/unlocked will that make a difference?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
J

jbg25

Reaction score
Dang so I have to do this if I flash any ice Rom? Or will if im stock rooted/unlocked will that make a difference?

No...not everyone has to do this. Although now that I know what can be done to your phone by a PH98IMG...I think I will be doing it this way from now on.

You should not have a problem if you are still stock rooted.

The people who are having problems that I know of are people like me who flashed Bamf Cubed 1.0.2 (which flashed the kernel by placing a PH98IMG on your SD then booting you into Bootloader)... or the first leaked ICS that was applied by PH98IMG.

From what I have learned...I believe these people had the a file referred to as "mainver" updated on their phones and you just simply cannot go backwards. I believe this coincides with the version of the software used by the developers to sign the files (but I could be off here).

So files not having the updated "mainver" cannot be flashed via HBoot. This includes old RUU's and most of the kernel and rom update files in the PH98IMG format.

That is why I MUST do this...but HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start doing it this way to. If I screw this phone up I do not have the safety of flashing the RUU to CMA (cover my A**).

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
No...not everyone has to do this. Although now that I know what can be done to your phone by a PH98IMG...I think I will be doing it this way from now on.

You should not have a problem if you are still stock rooted.

The people who are having problems that I know of are people like me who flashed Bamf Cubed 1.0.2 (which flashed the kernel by placing a PH98IMG on your SD then booting you into Bootloader)... or the first leaked ICS that was applied by PH98IMG.

From what I have learned...I believe these people had the a file referred to as "mainver" updated on their phones and you just simply cannot go backwards. I believe this coincides with the version of the software used by the developers to sign the files (but I could be off here).

So files not having the updated "mainver" cannot be flashed via HBoot. This includes old RUU's and most of the kernel and rom update files in the PH98IMG format.

That is why I MUST do this...but HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start doing it this way to. If I screw this phone up I do not have the safety of flashing the RUU to CMA (cover my A**).

Thanks for clearing this up, I appreciate it!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The guide over at XDA is fantastic and works perfectly.