You can remove the Galaxy S6’s battery… here's how..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
galaxy_s6_feature.jpg

In the instruction manual for the Galaxy S6, Samsung offers instructions for removing the device’s battery but warns that this should only be attempted by “your service provider or an authorized repair agent.” If you try to remove the battery yourself and you damage your phone, it will not be covered by your warranty.

So if you’re willing to take that risk, here are Samsung’s instructions for how to remove the battery:

Download the S6 manual [link below] and scoot down to page 138.
  • Remove the SIM card tray from the device before starting battery removal
  • Remove the back cover
  • Loosen and remove the screws that line the perimeter of the device
  • Remove the circuit board
  • Disconnect the battery connector
  • Remove the battery
If you want to see images showing how to do this, check out page 138 of Samsung’s instruction manual by clicking here (PDF). You really shouldn’t attempt this yourself unless you’re completely sure you know what you’re doing

Samsung

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It would have been great if they could have made the back plate spring loaded (or hinged...something along those lines) to keep the battery truly removable.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It would have been great if they could have made the back plate spring loaded (or hinged...something along those lines) to keep the battery truly removable.
Good point. At least the battery is not soldered in place.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Good point. At least the battery is not soldered in place.

Agreed. It will make battery warranty replacements a lot easier for the Samsung certified techs.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
But this still doesnt give us options of Extended Batteries like any of the Previous Models unless there are Higher capacities with the exact same physical size. The only real way of getting any Extended Battery Life will be getting a Powered Cased like a Mophie Case or Something like that. Mophie makes one for the iPhone that has Power and a MicroSD Slot. This would be a huge option for S6 owners if they were to make one for the S6. I know that if they made these for ANY of my Phones I would by them.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
What I want to know is... What do people do when their phone completely freezes up and they can't do a battery pull? It doesn't happen to me often but I've definitely had to a few times... Is there a failsafe force reboot on nonremovable battery phones like this?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
What I want to know is... What do people do when their phone completely freezes up and they can't do a battery pull? It doesn't happen to me often but I've definitely had to a few times... Is there a failsafe force reboot on nonremovable battery phones like this?

Pressing and holding the power button for somewhere between 5 - 10 seconds is how it works with many. Others require pressing and holding the power button and volume up button for 5 - 10 seconds.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Pressing and holding the power button for somewhere between 5 - 10 seconds is how it works with many. Others require pressing and holding the power button and volume up button for 5 - 10 seconds.

@bsweetness is correct here. There is a circuit built into these that uses a time-based shutdown which effectively disconnects the power to a key componet in the circuit which triggers a reboot. This is a HARDWARE shutdown and there is nothing that can prevent it, so unless that actual circuit fails, it is essentially as effective as a battery pull.

In my Droid Turbo it was exactly 7 seconds from pressing and holding power. So first after pressing the button and holding for 7 seconds the entire display goes black. In about another 5 seconds the new reboot process begins.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But this still doesnt give us options of Extended Batteries like any of the Previous Models unless there are Higher capacities with the exact same physical size. The only real way of getting any Extended Battery Life will be getting a Powered Cased like a Mophie Case or Something like that. Mophie makes one for the iPhone that has Power and a MicroSD Slot. This would be a huge option for S6 owners if they were to make one for the S6. I know that if they made these for ANY of my Phones I would by them.

@hammerhead13 , you are essentially correct. The fact that the battery connections are under the circuit board instead of above it means in order for an external battery to connect it would have to be via a ribbon cable that could lace under the board while properly in place, and then lace out of the casing to where the external extended battery is affixed. It would be far less difficult if the connections were simply exposed just inside the cover. It is entirely possible to achieve, but the risks are many;
  • You first void the warranty by opening the casing
  • then possibly damage (strip) one or more of the tiny hardware screws or threaded posts that affix the circuit board to the chassis
  • then possibly damage any one or more of the actual board components - either by physically breaking them or by static electricity discharge
  • and then there's the possibility that the ribbon cable carrying the power from the external battery into the circuit could become pinched and shorted between the circuit board and chassis or between casing and back cover, causing potential catastrophic failure including fire and burns as the battery heats up rapidly and bursts under the heat and compression
I won't say it's not possible, but it is highly improbable that a company will want to put all the engineering R&D into this to accomplish an extended battery for this phone. Not to mention the potential liability if their method proves to be a dangerous one and someone were to be injured or worse as a result of the battery exploding.

The most someone could hope for IMHO is an external battery/case combination that connects to the phone via the USB plug on the bottom as seen below for the iPhone;

i-Blason-Apple-iPhone-6-4.7-Inch-External-Protective-Battery-Case-74.99.jpg

41vpm8ggo-L._SY300_.jpg

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Actually, pressing and holding the power button and volume down is the Motorola method, so there are obviously several variations. Still all three variations accomplish the same thing. There is a circuit built into these that uses a time-based shutdown which effectively disconnects the power to a key componet in the circuit which triggers a reboot. This is a HARDWARE shutdown and there is nothing that can prevent it, so unless that actual circuit fails, it is essentially as effective as a battery pull.

In my Droid Turbo it was exactly 7 seconds from pressing power and volume down combined, the same combination that does a screen capture in the Motorola phones. So first after pressing the buttons, in a few seconds I see the screen capture, then a few seconds later the entire display goes black. In about another 5 seconds the new reboot process begins.

Have you tried just pressing and holding the power button by itself for the same length of time? When I owned the Turbo, I only had to press and hold the power button for 7 - 10 seconds. Verizon and Motorola both say the same thing, as does the manual for the Turbo (page 61).

I remember the power button + volume down button combo being necessary on the Droid MAXX, but I think Motorola removed the need for the volume down button starting with the Moto X (2013).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Have you tried just pressing and holding the power button by itself for the same length of time? When I owned the Turbo, I only had to press and hold the power button for 7 - 10 seconds. Verizon and Motorola both say the same thing, as does the manual for the Turbo (page 61).

I remember the power button + volume down button combo being necessary on the Droid MAXX, but I think Motorola removed the need for the volume down button starting with the Moto X (2013).

Hmmm... Appears you are right. So I stand corrected and will edit the first post. Power button only, accomplishes the same task without the screen capture.

Thanks @bsweetness !

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have a cure for failing circuits!! My hakko soldering station and a really bad attitude!!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Mophie has announced a battery pack for the S6 series. My only issue with that is their packs are terrible. I've tried them several times and have always been left feeling ripped off due to performance issues.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I am pretty sure the power button plus volume up or down depending on OEM will always do a hard reboot. My Moto Xoom has this feature as does my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I am pretty sure the power button plus volume up or down depending on OEM will always do a hard reboot. My Moto Xoom has this feature as does my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.
Same with my MotoX, MotoG & this Nexus 6. Used it a few times on each device

Tapped from a Nexus 6