You Can Now Use Facebook Messenger Without A Facebook Account

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I really tried hard not to use facebook messenger. I already use text messaging, google hangouts, and slack. Facebook messenger was just one more messaging app to keep up with. Once Facebook decided to split the messenger app from the facebook app I was determined not to download it and instead would just access facebook on my PC when it was absolutely necessary.

I quickly found out that it was becoming more and more necessary as friends and family quickly adopted the messenger app as their main means of online communication. I know baffling. As it turns out if I want to speak to my mother I have to do so for the most part over Facebook messenger.

If you find yourself in the same predicament as me and have realized that you do indeed NEED to use the Facebook messenger app you can now do so without the need for a facebook account. If you have made it this long without a facebook account kudos to you. With more than 1/8th of the entire world's population registered on Facebook your friends without an account would be few and far between. If you do know someone without an account they can now use the Messenger app without a facebook account. Upon opening the app just input your phone number, name and a picture and you are all set. You can chat away without an actual Facebook account in the US, Canada, Peru, and Venezuela.

via Play Store

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
HA, when they forced you to install a second messenger app, that's when I got rid of facebook on my phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like the standalone app way better than when "chat" was in the Facebook app. I've been using it since it was very first introduced, instead of when they migrated everyone over to it.

That said, I don't really use it much. I find it best for contacting people who I don't necessarily want/need to exchange phone numbers with, but still need to get in touch with from time to time.

I'd be interested to see how many people sign up for messenger without a Facebook account. I would kind of think, if you don't have Facebook at this point, you're either going to continue that trend or join Facebook proper, rather than just download the messenger. I could be wrong though. Maybe they're trying to take over the messenger space like AIM and ICQ once did...?