Yikes, Hard Buttons Don't Work

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Okay, so I may have dropped my husband's phone while trying to take a group picture of him with the guys.
The phone still works great and I got some wonderful pictures, but his power button and volume buttons no longer work.
I ordered an Asurion replacement, but how do we power off the phone to switch over to the replacement since the power button doesn't work?
Yeah, I paid $149 for an old phone holding out to see what's released later this summer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If the physical buttons don't work your only option may be to keep it charged and On until you get all the data backed up and on the replacement phone. Then just factory reset and let it die on it's own before sending it in, or throwing away, etc

Sorry to hear that, always a bummer.

If there are other options I am not aware of, hopefully someone will chime in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
If the physical buttons don't work your only option may be to keep it charged and On until you get all the data backed up and on the replacement phone. Then just factory reset and let it die on it's own before sending it in, or throwing away, etc

Sorry to hear that, always a bummer.

If there are other options I am not aware of, hopefully someone will chime in.

Thanks @Sajo!
Yeah, it's a bummer to replace it not knowing what to move up into yet, but I think I made the right choice. I haven't researched enough yet and know there's more new models coming soon...
My husband likes for me to move into the updated phones first so I can help him lol.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing wrong with that. If he likes the current phone, $149 is not too shabby for a replacement. I have always had excellent support from Moto's warranty program. I hope Assurion replacement phones are just as good and it lasts him until he decides to get something new.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I'm not familiar with how Motorola's warranty program works, so in my ignorance, I pay for the insurance. Please educate me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There's no ignorance on your part, no need to apologize. . If the phone is still supported by their repair program (or under warranty) then the repairs can be free (warranty) or a nominal one time fee. For example a broken screen replacement phone is around $175 + or -. Other repairs may cost a little more or a little less, it all depends. Then they offer two options: 1) wait for the replacement and then send the defective back....all free. Or 2) pay $25 and have the new one on your doorstep in 72 hours or less with a pre-paid return envelope. There is a "hold" fee on option 2 in case people steal the replacement phone and never send the defective one back. Understandable, they were probably ripped off in the past. But if the phone is older they may not offer any repair options. I think right now they only go back to the original Moto Z series and nothing older. If you have all newer phones, the money saved on insurance is worth the one time fee for a broken phone. But if you have older phones that they no longer repair then insurance is worth it, in my opinion.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Yeah, I'm thinking as old as his phone is...
Next time, if we stick with Moto, I'll know.
Actually, I'm betting that's what Verizon did with mine that died shortly after I got it. I think my screen died, but can't remember, honestly. I know a replacement came a day or two later and I sent my defective one back. No payment was required.