XBMC Remote for Android now available on Market

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any old-school Xbox modders around? I'm sure this one will appeal to you. The official XBMC Remote for Android has just been released on the Android Market. This project has been in the works for quite some time, but hasn't been made widely available until now. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but from the screenshots and feature list, it looks simply awesome.

xbmc_android_app_1.png

With XBMC Remote for Android, you will be able to remotely control multiple instances of XBMC connected to your WiFi network. The UI is designed to resemble the old-school XBOX DVD Dongle. It takes a little while to set up, but if you follow the step-by-step guide, you should be able to figure it out. Note, this app will not stream audio or video to your device, but these features may become implemented in the future. The current purpose of XBMC Remote is to acts as a wireless remote control for your PC or gaming system with XBMC installed. Android 1.5 and XBMC 9.11 are both required.

xbmc_android_app_2.png

Features List:
General

• Remote control with the look of the Xbox' DVD Dongle
  • Control XBMC's volume directly with your device's volume buttons
  • Fast access to items in list via hard- or soft keyboard (long-press Menu)
  • Manage multiple XBMC instances
  • Live view of currently playing playlist
  • Notification bar shows what's playing with direct access to "Now playing" screen (can be disabled)
  • Large screen (854x480) support, while maintaining 1.5 compatibility
  • On incoming call, display who's calling on TV screen and pause video until call is over
  • On incoming message, display on TV screen
  • Setting that prevents your phone locking the screen. You can apply it either for remote control only or all screens (or disable it completely)
  • Tabs looking and behaving like HTC's Sense UI, also check out the Gallery.
  • Ultra fast cover download for recent XBMC builds (>r27770)
  • Texture support for HTC Tattoo, Google Nexus One as well as Motorola's Droid/Milestone.
Music Library

• Cover art is shown where available
  • Now playing screen allows skipping, seeking, stop and pause
  • Browse by album, artist, genre
  • XBMC's "Hide artists who appear only on compilations" setting is taken into account when listing artists
  • Within a genre, browse by albums, artists and songs
  • List all albums and songs of an artist
  • Browse compilations only
  • Browse files directly
  • Sort by album, artist, title, track number etc..
  • Play and queue albums, songs, genre selections and much more directly without having to turn on your TV. For instance it's possible to queue/play all songs from an artist but of a certain genre.
  • Primitive listing of current playlist with options to jump to another song or remove a song.
Movie Library

• Browse by title, actors, genre.
  • Display all movies of a genre or with an actor.
  • Displays movie poster and actor thumbs where available.
  • Play trailer from details page where available.
TV Shows Library

• Browse by show, season, episode or by actors and genre.
  • Dynamic thumb rendering with wide banner support
  • Displays episode and show details

via EuroDroid
Source Android XBMC Remote Project, XBMC

RemyL75

Reaction score
Old Original Xbox on eBay - 40 bucks (unless you had one laying around, like I did)

Installing XBMC on Original Xbox - $0

Using Droid to control television media, thus freaking out your non-techie (and some of your very-techy) friends - Priceless

Got it working in under 5 mins. Works almost flawlessly. The sensitivity on the buttons needs to come down, and I was getting messages saying that it couldn't connect until i switched to remote control mode. Otherwise, it's great.

yiuin

Reaction score
Actually, xbox is being dropped from XBMC sometime soon.
Farewell XBOX | XBMC
But apparently this still works on the xbox version. I'm excited to control my PC version with this....just can't wait till friday.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Yeah I heard about them dropping the old Xbox, but as long as I can get it to work on there, then I am fine. Besides, I can always restore it to default. Until then, I can use my Droid to scare my friends lol dancedroid

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
dropping xbox (and its "old" hardware) is an important step for XBMC. expect to see some really nice stuff from them soon ;)

akstyle450

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Current Phone Model
pixel xl
Confirming:
It works for my laptop with linux (sabayon) :D
Truly amazing!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

chewy74

Reaction score
yeah, i was using this when it was in beta and i actually reported the button sensitvity issue. I thought it was resolved because they closed the issue...I havent tried any of the newer versions of the remote, but I do know the issue seems to only reside whenusing XBMC on the xbox...its fine when XBMC is running on any other device.

Old Original Xbox on eBay - 40 bucks (unless you had one laying around, like I did)

Got it working in under 5 mins. Works almost flawlessly. The sensitivity on the buttons needs to come down, and I was getting messages saying that it couldn't connect until i switched to remote control mode. Otherwise, it's great.

brando56894

Reaction score
ive been using another xbmc remote app thats kind of like this one except this one supports wide icons, Ill check it out.

6-Speed

Reaction score
first post! got it from the market place earlier today, couldn't wait to get home and try it. Works like a champ! Excellent! Could we get the wide banner support for the movies? Or is there a reason why it's not already there...