X-rayed my droid today

mouthfull

Reaction score
I'm using it as wallpaper. I had to crop it down and make a lot of adjustments on the droid to make it look right, but it still looks kinda crappy.

Last edited:

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
hehehe...that's awesome. You might try it again with a little less mAs and a little less kVp to increase the contrast.

It looks like you're using film. Do you have access to CR or DR? You could adjust the window/level and make it look better. :)

Or, better yet, fluoro it and print out a digital capture.

I may have to try this tomorrow.

OP
mouthfull

mouthfull

Reaction score
hehehe...that's awesome. You might try it again with a little less mAs and a little less kVp to increase the contrast.

It looks like you're using film. Do you have access to CR or DR? You could adjust the window/level and make it look better. :)

Or, better yet, fluoro it and print out a digital capture.

I may have to try this tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply I used CR, I actually did this at school (first year student). I can take diagnostic quality images of people all day, but seem to struggle when it comes to x-raying everyday objects and electronics. What technique would you have started with?

While you're at it tomorrow, see if you can get some axial views with CT.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have access to the CT scanners. I test 2D radiography and fluoroscopy machines.

I'll give radiographing it a shot tomorrow if I have time. I spent all day today in a cath lab. :sad: I don't have any clinical experience, just the physics. My partner is a registered tech (RTR and QA) as well as a licensed Radiologic Physicist; I'll ask him.

My recommendation would be to place it directly over the center chamber of the table AEC and select that chamber only for an AEC exposure. Subtract 10kVp from whatever you shot today that worked and see what that gets you. Note the post-exposure mAs. If you have anything even close to a working image, I would then move to manual mode. You'll have to play with the kVp and mAs (not so much with the mAs, you've got a ton of latitude with CR) to fine tune it for the contrast. Once you've got a manual technique that works, I'd place the CR plate on the tabletop with the Droid right on top of it (like you were doing fingers) and shoot it again to minimize scatter artifacts.

I don't want this to sound insulting but have you gotten far enough along in your courses to know how changing the kVp and mAs change your images for QC purposes?

Lastly, don't get discouraged by your difficulty with inanimate objects. They are actually much more difficult to radiograph than tissue/bone. They are very high-contrast objects normally (or very low contrast like stuffed animals, flowers, shells, etc) which makes them difficult to find the right penetrability for a good image.

Keep up the good work and kudos on having the curiosity to radiograph your droid!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Narsil...here's an idea. When you X-ray it crop out the photo and upload it as wallpaper for everyone.

Here's the thing though. When you crop it, crop it in such a way that the viewable area is actually the inards of the phone. Crop out the edges so it looks like you are peering into and past the screen. Make sense?

sparticus

Reaction score
Maybe try it with the multimedia dock and the car dock. so we can get an exact placement of the magnets. so one of the dock and one with the phone in the dock.

OP
mouthfull

mouthfull

Reaction score
Narsil...here's an idea. When you X-ray it crop out the photo and upload it as wallpaper for everyone.

Here's the thing though. When you crop it, crop it in such a way that the viewable area is actually the inards of the phone. Crop out the edges so it looks like you are peering into and past the screen. Make sense?

Thats the whole reason why I x-rayed it today. Its what i'm using for wallpaper now.

I had to crop it to the wierd 960X854 and adjust it again with the droid wallpaper crop square selection thingy to get it to look half decent.

OP
mouthfull

mouthfull

Reaction score
I have access to the PACS from home so I fooled around with the window/level and did an invert in hopes to get a better image.