**X laggy, texting issues, reboots, etc? Solution Story Inside**

Rivers17jp3

Reaction score
*Disclaimer - if you do not like long post, save the negative comments and do not read this. This is for the people having trouble with their Droid X acting very laggy, rebooting, and getting kicked from their contacts and text messages.*

I want to give you some information about my Droid X so that you know the story behind why I am posting. I have had the phone for no less than one week, downloaded the basic apps (facebook, twitter, etc.) and added my contacts, etc.

The second day I had the phone my battery died in less than five hours - I know people have posted how bad the batteries were but that is a joke. Called VW and the rep told me they would give me a new battery, no problem. She transfered me to Tech Support and the person basically told me, "yeah we know they suck but you are just going to have to carry aroud a charger - my x dies in under 8 hours, just make sure you don't run many widgets." I deleted all my widgets - phone last me 6 hours the next day. Something still isn't right.

That same day my phone rebooted twice and started acting laggy. Whenever I tried to text someone I would get kicked out of the texting part of my phone and it would reboot. Also, when I clicked on the "To:" to insert who I was texting it would take FOREVER for the name to come up - 2 mins sometimes. I could type the whole person's name and then it would kick me out as well. The battery issue I could handle, however the phone kicking me out, rebooting, and not being able to click one single contact I can not. I literally could not trust this phone if an emergency were to have happend.

Today, I got kicked out of the texting box and it rebooted - I called VW ASAP. Finally, I got someone that wanted to take the time to talk to me about my phone and how it was acting. I told the guy what was happening and he had me dial #228 (I think) and wanted me to reprogram it to another roaming tower to see if that would help. When I did that, he then wanted me to text someone - it rebooted. Didn't work. Ok he said, lets do a factory reset - we wiped everyting clean. **the next step is very important** The phone rebooted and went back to the activation screen just like when I got the phone. Do not touch the droid man is what he told me. Touch each corner from top to bottom (top left, right, then bottom right and left). It by passed the activation part. It brought me to the page where I would look at the factory settings. The MIN and MEID numbers were completely wrong!!! "I don't even know how you were able to get or recieve data or calls" is what he told me. We updated the numbers and BOOM! This thing freaking is screaming fast! The phone no longer takes forever to load or select contacts to choose from, either texting or calling. It no longer its the battery (already past 8 hours) nor has it even taught about rebooting.

The reason why I posted this is because I have read on here that some people's X's are slow, laggy, rebooting ,etc. and being called trolls (LOL). Long story, I hated that everyone's X was running great and mine wasn't so I called VW Tech. The phone was not programmed correctly to being with on VW part.

If you are experiencing anything like I listed in this story, please take the time to call and make sure your MIN and MEID numbers are what they are suppose to be!

I hope this helps and maybe this will be tagged to stay here at the top.

John :motdroidvert:

reddog187

Reaction score
Have you tried a factory reset? I did mine a few days ago and it solved all my issues. Battery, Lag, resets, etc. Then when I reinstalled all my apps slowly i kept an eye to see if it was any apps that were buggy. It runs like a charm and the battery life is much better.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hm, I wonder if you really have stumbled onto something.

The battery issue is a known problem with workarounds: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html
One of the workarounds is to turn off GPS. Perhaps you've done that or just haven't activated the bug (by using an app that uses GPS).

The texting app issue is a known problem. It starts acting funky after a while. I think the workaround is to use another app like Handcent.

Try your phone for a few more days and see if these problems don't come back. I have a feeling that your problems have only disappeared temporarily. If I'm wrong then you're really onto something!

Last edited:

ecfiffer

Reaction score
well if the phone isnt programed from the get go then that would answer data/voice related issues. which would tend to lead to battery issues (trying to pull data constantly would kill your battery) texting, well i cant speak too much on that, my wife hasnt complained about that part. i HOPE that these bugs will be fixed on FroYo, not mention speed up the device. i know on my d1 with a 1.25g kernel and FroYo it has been a beast... please keep us posted if your issues pop back up or not...

OP
R

Rivers17jp3

Reaction score
Hm, I wonder if you really have stumbled onto something.

The battery issue is a known problem with workarounds: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html
One of the workarounds is to turn off GPS. Perhaps you've done that or just haven't activated the bug (by using an app that uses GPS).

The texting app issue is a known problem. It starts acting funky after a while. I think the workaround is to use another app like Handcent.

Try your phone for a few more days and see if these problems don't come back. I have a feeling that your problems have only disappeared temporarily. If I'm wrong then you're really onto something!

My battery lasted me today WELL OVER 10 hours! I couldn't make it past 6 hours before. The phone is flying and the battery is holding up great.

If people are having these issues, please, do a factory reset and call VW and make sure your numbers are what the are suppose to be. This is going to clear up a lot of issues for many people.

OP
R

Rivers17jp3

Reaction score
Have you tried a factory reset? I did mine a few days ago and it solved all my issues. Battery, Lag, resets, etc. Then when I reinstalled all my apps slowly i kept an eye to see if it was any apps that were buggy. It runs like a charm and the battery life is much better.

Yeah, we did a factory reset on it and changed my MEID numbers to what they were meant to be. The phone is running like a champ now.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
A factory reset is a last resort. It may not be necessary, may do nothing for you, and will certainly wipe your phone.

We've been trying to figure out the battery drain issue on the X for several days.

FIRST THING TO TRY
go to phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > uncheck it

That should do the trick!

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn off GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

SECOND THING
Dial *#*#4636#*#* to figure out what's using your battery. If an app is using all your juice get rid of it.

Last edited:

mguin86

Reaction score
I went to vw yesterday and told them my phone had been freezing and lagging and they ordered a new one to be shipped to me no questions asked. I wonder if they know they are programmed wrong and just sending out new ones to cover it...... who knows

Maybe my new one will come programmed right