Would you purchase the S3 now or wait...

debrad0307

Reaction score
Thanks, both good comments. I have a few friends with the note II and they love it. I believe it would be a little large for my use. I think the S3 is the max size for a phone that I could deal with. Yes, I would rather hold out for the S4 but my Infuse will drive me crazy before then. I'm just afraid I'll be in the same situation with the S3 in 1 1/2 years. (I really hate these 2 year contracts).

Thanks for the comments.

The size of the phone (s3) is a little shocking at first, it could also be a little intimidating (depending on what phone you're coming from) but, I got used to the size fast. I also wouldn't trade my s3 for anything. Got mine in August and it still continues to amaze me. There is no better phone on the market right now IMO

Sent from my Synergized SCH-I535

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
In that case can you verify these sources?

My friend has a Note 1, which was 5 inches. It didn't slip into my pocket as nicely as my S3. That .2 inches makes all the difference. Though they could open the borders .05 inches and expand the actual screen itself. That would give it a noticeable increase in size while not maing the phone much bigger, just like how the Razr screens wrap all the way to the edges, to make them look bigger, but are technically the same size.

The original Galaxy Note actually has a 5.3" screen (making it a half an inch larger than the S3, which is quite a difference) along with having a wider screen. Those two things account for the pocketability difference you experienced. The Galaxy Note 2, even though it has a screen that's .2" larger than the original Note, is actually more pocketable than the Note because the screen isn't as wide and the bezel is smaller. All indications are point towards a 4.9"/5" screen for the S4. Much of that will probably be done by shrinking the bezel a bit more, so I wouldn't expect the overall size of the S4 to be much bigger than the S3.

To the OP, the S3 is still one of the best phones out today. And that's saying a lot in the Android world. Usually a phone is showing signs of being outdated within a few months of release. But that's not the case with the S3. Samsung is pushing out some really great devices. Personally, if I were looking to buy a new phone on Verizon right now, I would go with the Note 2 followed by the S3 (full disclosure - the Note 2 is greatest phone I've ever owned, so I'm always going to sneak some praise for it in wherever I can :biggrin: - but I also had the S3 for several months and loved it.) If you want to wait a bit, the S4 will be announced in the upcoming months, but of course it might be awhile before it makes it's way to the U.S. and to Verizon (probably sometime over the summer). It's always tough to recommend waiting (unless the current device in question is poor or outdated, which isn't the case here) because you could always wait for the next big thing, and by the time it's released, you might as well wait for the next big thing. It can become a vicious cycle.

My recommendation is go into a Verizon store and check out the phones for yourself (if you haven't already). Or play around with one that a friend or family member owns. If you like it, go for it. Even at this point, the S3 is going to easily get you through a two year contract and then some (that 2GB of RAM is really going to give it some serious staying power). It's an incredibly capable device.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ahh ok, well 5 in for the S4 makes more sense now. For whatever reason that's what I thought the note was. Even at 4.8 people always comment on how big my phone is. I can't tell if they like it or not but...I know I love it so. I'll have to experience 5 before I judge it...

feralchick

Reaction score
If you are going to hold out for the new releases I suggest waiting at least 2 weeks before purchasing one. Check the forums to see what the bugs are. They all have some glitch which may not be an issue for you depending on your needs. For example: poorer reception in marginal areas, headphone jack problems, battery life, etc. People tend to post about issues/problems which doesn't mean every phone in that line has them but from my experience it's a good thing to know.

I love my S3 and have no doubt it will stand up to newer phones.

Last edited:

mettech

Reaction score
"Patience is a Virtue" The best is yet to come..

Waiting three months for the next generation is advised,

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Though Feral has a very good point. I've learned twice now that it's not a good idea to pick up a phone any where near its launch date. Always wait AT LEAST 2 weeks after, then check the forums. And keep in mind waiting those 2 weeks will show you what bugs are there, don't expect those bugs to be fixed for another month or two.