Would this work?

traxx

Reaction score
Okay so I am on a family share plan right now. The primary line just became eligible for an early upgrade, but the secondary line is stuck for another 9 months before it can upgrade. Upgrading one line and not the other would leave me with two different contract end dates...which is a pain. Here's my theory...

Verizon has the deal where smartphones talk free....so you just pay for the data plan. Couldn't I start a new line and get all new equipment....then remove the data plan from the current secondary line and just pay the $9.99 voice fee. This would essentially leave me paying the exact same thing I am paying now, but with new equipment. The theory is sound, but can I kill a data plan midncontract without penalty?

Beka27

Reaction score
I don't think it's smart to open lines JUST for new phones... but I know a lot of people do this all the time. My concern is, with this economy, you (or I) could be out of a job tomorrow... and then we might have to pay 3 termination fees if we cannot keep our service. That's just my 2 cents.

Why wouldn't you want two different contract dates? Most people prefer that. This opens you up for getting a new phone every year, just alternating the lines. I think that would be much preferable to a third unused line.

OP
traxx

traxx

Reaction score
Should I decide to leave verizon, I'll have to have one line leave and then the other leave a year later....so for a year I'd be paying for 2 individual accounts. I know Verizon does this to keep people from leaving, but damn....screw your customers just a little more Verizon....

I don't think it's smart to open lines JUST for new phones... but I know a lot of people do this all the time. My concern is, with this economy, you (or I) could be out of a job tomorrow... and then we might have to pay 3 termination fees if we cannot keep our service. That's just my 2 cents.

Why wouldn't you want two different contract dates? Most people prefer that. This opens you up for getting a new phone every year, just alternating the lines. I think that would be much preferable to a third unused line.

vatothe0

Reaction score
The smartphone talk free promo ended a long time ago. Additionally, you lost the promo if you removed the smartphone.

Sent from my DROIDX

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should I decide to leave verizon, I'll have to have one line leave and then the other leave a year later....so for a year I'd be paying for 2 individual accounts. I know Verizon does this to keep people from leaving, but damn....screw your customers just a little more Verizon....
How exactly is this Verizon screwing its customers? Every carrier does this.

And if you have a problem with 2 different contract end dates then adding another line won't be any better. The third line will have its own contract end date.