Would love advice on buying a Verizon Droid

Barbara1973

Reaction score
Hello! We're new to Droids and I wanted to get one for my husband who is not terribly technical. His requirements would be: 1) an easy-to-use keyboard for texting. (He cannot use buttons.); 2) apps for traffic, weather, etc. - not video games or watching TV; 3) reliable and speedy connections; and 4) ease of us - above all!! He's an EXTREMELY bright guy, but it drives him crazy when the only methods for completing functions are by using an obtuse combination of tiny buttons on the sides of the phone. The clearer the better! We're in the greater DC/Baltimore area, so there should be very little reason for poor reception. Thanks for your advice!! :)

Last edited:

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Glad u joined us. Well if its keyboard he likes, then the Droid 2 or Droid 2 Global would sufficient. It actually has both keyboard and touch screen. If he has larger fingers, I would say go with the new Droid X2 however its just touch screen. Using Swype maybe a good option for it.
IMO it maybe better to try different devices in the stores, just to get a feel for it. There's many great devices out there however its a learning curve. Battery issues with most but there are ways to alleviate problems. But the community is always here to assist either of u, so good luck on ur findings.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would go with the DROID Charge, LG Revolution or HTC Thunderbolt. They have large screens which makes for a big keyboard. Once he uses a virtual keyboard, he wont go back. I have large hands and the virtual keyboard is awesome.

The DROID X2 is still 3G which is old technology, the only thing better about it versus the DROIDX is the processor.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Actually I hear the Charge is doing pretty good. And switching between 3G and 4G might better for areas that may not have that LTE upgrade yet, u don't always have to use 4G.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

OP
B

Barbara1973

Reaction score
Thanks all!

VERY helpful. We do plan on having him try out Droids in the store, but I wanted to start with suggestions from the experts. Do you know if the standard Verizon store is the best place to get these? Thanks again!!

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
absolutely get the devices from VZW vs Bay etc. u can order on line if u wish. but definitely try them out in the stores, ask all the necessary questions but what u find here may not be exactly what the reps will know...if u know what I mean Lol. when u do get the phones, don't have them download Auto Task Killer, u don't need it.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I take that back, sometimes online might offer better deals than VZW.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

FernBch

Reaction score
Shop around. I wound up buying my DX online from VZW. After promos and the online special coupled wih my new every two, mine was free.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums