Won't mount on Vista 64-bit

porschedude90210

Reaction score
I've been extremely frustrated for several hours trying to mount my Droid on my PC running Vista 64-bit. It mounted properly the first time, I pulled down the notification tab, then clicked mount, etc. It worked for a few minutes, then I started getting the "Please insert disk" error. And I've been getting that since. I've manually uninstalled the drivers multiple times, and at a few times, it will mount, and I will see the files, but seconds later, I get the "Please insert disk" error.

If anyone knows a fix for this, please let me know. Oh, and it isn't the Card, I was able to put it into a card reader and it worked fine.

Jsimpson66

Reaction score
I have the same problem running Vista 32. My solution, while not really a solution, is to mount on my linux machine. Works every time there. I only use Windows for school, and if I could get around a few necessary problems there, I'd not be using Windows at all.

:motdroidhoriz:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
try it with your USB debugging on. For some reason it was doing the same on my older Dell running XP Pro. Turning on the debugging took care of it.

mimilee

Reaction score
having same problem with 64 bit Windows 7 (laptop). Tried with debugging on. It did install the driver for the Motorola A855 and it does show as a disk drive in Device Manager but it will not mount. Sometimes it will briefly flash as E drive but quickly disappears. Works fine on my 32 bit Windows 7 computer.

Reaction score
I have 64 and it works for me. When it asks to install drivers just close that box out. Then pop up should come up when you mount the sd card if you want to open it with explorer

IN AWE

Reaction score
Work around

I've been extremely frustrated for several hours trying to mount my Droid on my PC running Vista 64-bit. It mounted properly the first time, I pulled down the notification tab, then clicked mount, etc. It worked for a few minutes, then I started getting the "Please insert disk" error. And I've been getting that since. I've manually uninstalled the drivers multiple times, and at a few times, it will mount, and I will see the files, but seconds later, I get the "Please insert disk" error.

If anyone knows a fix for this, please let me know. Oh, and it isn't the Card, I was able to put it into a card reader and it worked fine.

I too have this problem. The only way I have found to mount every time without exception is to use the Motorola Driver Installer and clean the drivers BEFORE i connect and try to mount phone.
Here is a link to installer.
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
First run Motorola driver installer exe.
Then select clean only and start.
then connect and mount.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Will have to try the new drivers. Before this 2.1 update I had no problem mounting the phone to my computer. Was able to copy ~10 gigs of music over at one point. Now I can't even get the computer to recognize the phone and I get all sorts of problems.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 64-bit here at work and 32-bit at home and it works no problem. Not sure why it wouldn't work on Vista. You may need to uninstall the mass storage driver and let it reinstall it when you plug it back in.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have Windows 7 64-bit here at work and 32-bit at home and it works no problem. Not sure why it wouldn't work on Vista. You may need to uninstall the mass storage driver and let it reinstall it when you plug it back in.
I have win7 Prox64 at home and I have not have any problem I used the newest updated drivers from Motorola and every thing is peachy.

1.if your device is not connecting try updating your driver
2.after you have updated driver and still not working update your usb hardware driver
3. if both of those dont work, use a different USB cord.

if any of the above 3 don't work then I have no idea how to help

-=Jason=-

IN AWE

Reaction score
I too have this problem. The only way I have found to mount every time without exception is to use the Motorola Driver Installer and clean the drivers BEFORE i connect and try to mount phone.
Here is a link to installer.
USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA
First run Motorola driver installer exe.
Then select clean only and start.
then connect and mount.

After you clean the drivers, plug in the phone, be patient and let the drivers load, then AFTER the drivers load go ahead and mount phone.

I have to do this EVERYTIME I want to connect the phone to my pc. Not sure why, Kind of a P.I.T.A. but thats how it is. hope it helps someone.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Grrrr, Same problem. I even see the motoconnect symbol, but when I try and view I am bing told to insert a disk into the removable disk. I'm at a loss now.