Wireless Tether

roaddaw9

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get wireless tether to work on gingerbread. The software starts to broadcast for me and I can connect my wireless item. But dhcp doesn't seem to work and wireless tether doesn't seem to see the wireless item. I am on version 2.0.7

jlc9761

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get wireless tether to work on gingerbread. The software starts to broadcast for me and I can connect my wireless item. But dhcp doesn't seem to work and wireless tether doesn't seem to see the wireless item. I am on version 2.0.7

working fine here, on 2.3.4 droid 1

tpeter52

Reaction score
I have same problem.
Before Gingerbread, I could Bluetooth to my laptop to access internet. After Gingerbread, I can connect to laptop, but no internet access.

I just thought it was the phone company locking down tethering so they could squeeze an extra 20 out of your wallet.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
I believe this is something Motorola is trying to remove access to. There is a fix, but I haven't really found anything pointing to it exactly.

tpeter52

Reaction score
Wireless tether... bluetooth <-> PC

After much fiddling about, finally it works.

Make sure that WiFi is turned off before you try to tether to your device (I'm assuming a PC). You can not Bluetooth your PC to your phone then WiFi from your phone to the internet, so turn WiFi off before you start the pairing process.

Pair the two devices - for a PC that is to connect to the internet, PAN (Personal Area Networking) profile (Bluetooth profile) needs to be selected on the PC. On my PC the Bluetooth wizard will select a default for transferring files etc. I have to override this and manually select PAN.

Once paired, In theory, and if all is well, you should be able to connect your PC and access the internet. But here is where GB has seemed to introduce some quirkiness. I can get a reliable BT connection between PC and phone, but not always able to access internet, but when I cycled power to the phone, things started to work. Also, it seems that if WiFi was turned on during this process, it seemed to confuse something in the phone, and hence the restart that seemed to clear things up. This is the part I do not fully understand as of yet and am not sure it's 100% repeatable. One thing is that once the connection is made, it seems to be solid.