Wireless Tether troubleshooting

lakas187

Reaction score
Ugh... I cant get this to work. I think im giving up.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

matt0

Reaction score
Trouble tethering with Captivate & pre11

Successfully installed pre11 version of apk and it seems to work on the phone -- the app says tethering is started, etc. But my devices don't see the phone's SSID (either the default or if I change it) and I can't connect manually. I have access control disabled and no encryption at this point...

Thanks for any help,
Matt

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Does the phone have a 3G hotspot function? If not then the kernel probably doesn't support WiFi tethering and you'll need to get netfilter enabled.

Just a guess. I know that the Captivate shipped with Eclair and built-in tethering capability wasn't part of the stock kernel till FroYo.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Does wireless tether work with windows 7?

I have vers 2.0.2, and not sure what settings to use. It worked with vista.
I've upgraded to windows 7 and nothing let's me get online yet.

Droidforums.net appified!

Bilgediver

Reaction score
No errors, it just won't friggin work.

Wireless tether works like it should.

I can't even connect to it, it just gets stuck on Authenticating and eventually says can't connect.
I disabled encryption, too and tried that and nothing.

I even tried the Aircard that I still have (UM175) and it "technically" connects but it won't transfer data at all so therefore doesn't allow me to get online.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Have you deleted the exiting hotspot profile on your PC, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, double-checked SU permissions, and verified that the tethering hotspot still works on other computers?

Have you verified that you have the latest drivers for your WiFi card(s)?

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Have you deleted the exiting hotspot profile on your PC, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, double-checked SU permissions, and verified that the tethering hotspot still works on other computers?

Have you verified that you have the latest drivers for your WiFi card(s)?

I'm in the middle of downloading the latest driver for my wifi card using my netbook (tethering works on my netbook, which runs Windows XP)

BCool83

Reaction score
Okay. I'm at a loss here. Can you connect any other device to the tether? Also, do you have any problems connecting via another hotspot? Do you have a firewall? Did you set it up as a home or public location?
My TiVo, which has a wireless adapter, can connect to the internet via my tether just fine. I can't try my work computer due to lack of admin capability...but I'm planning to try another computer tomorrow.

I'm using AGV Free, but I don't think it has a firewall. I set up the network as a home location.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well, try updating the drivers. I have no problems connecting mine whatsoever. If the TiVo can connect then it's starting to sound like a driver issue to me. Though I've seen cases where people had to reformat their systems to get their computers to recognize their phones.

BCool83

Reaction score
Anyone else have any recommendations? I downloaded the newest drivers for my wireless adapter, and still can only connect locally to Wireless Tether. REALLY frustrating when I see all these posts about people connecting wirelessly...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had an issue with PRE 15 that dropped a couple days ago, but it connected after I killed the app and restarted tethering. Not much help, but if you don't have PRE 15 it might be worth trying.

rosedognye

Reaction score
I seem to have the opposite problem. Wireless tether worked fine (rooted Fascinate I500) BUT... I was using WT in my home and when I disconnected and tried to connect my laptop to my home network it failed. Also, I couldn't connect my phone to my home wifi at that point either. Doesn't seem to be a phone problem (rebooting didn't help). Apparently my phone's wifi hotspot and my home wireless router don't play nice and I had to reset the wireless router to connect. Anyone else seen this? (BTW...tried Barnacle Legacy and had the same problem!)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I seem to have the opposite problem. Wireless tether worked fine (rooted Fascinate I500) BUT... I was using WT in my home and when I disconnected and tried to connect my laptop to my home network it failed. Also, I couldn't connect my phone to my home wifi at that point either. Doesn't seem to be a phone problem (rebooting didn't help). Apparently my phone's wifi hotspot and my home wireless router don't play nice and I had to reset the wireless router to connect. Anyone else seen this? (BTW...tried Barnacle Legacy and had the same problem!)

Two questions:

1) Are they broadcasting on the same channel?

2) Did you delete the profiles on the laptop?