Wiping phone with no sdcard?

alm0614

Reaction score
So..when we are installing ROMs and all, and we wipe data, does this wipe entire internal memory? Or does it see the /sdcard directory and "pretend" that it is external memory and leave it alone

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
interesting.. good question man... definately dont want to be the guy who finds out..lol

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The folder everything is in is still named /sdcard. So CWM will skip it when it gets to it.

rdubb

Reaction score
The folder everything is in is still named /sdcard. So CWM will skip it when it gets to it.

When I unlocked my phone it nuked everything on the internal SD everything I had placed there was GONE- hopefully when installing custom roms it will not- Have any of you noticed how SLOW it is transferring files from PC to the phone?

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When I unlocked my phone it nuked everything on the internal SD everything I had placed there was GONE- hopefully when installing custom roms it will not- Have any of you noticed how SLOW it is transferring files from PC to the phone?

Unlocking is different. It like relocking, wipes everything. When we wipe for ROMs its different. And yes, transfer can be a bit slow. And 4gb cap.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
Yea why is transfer so slow? I backed up my sd card from OG Droid and was trying to transfer my 150 images and it would freeze. I had to go like 30 at a time.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Make sure you are on a USB 2.0 (or high speed port).

cjriddle22

Reaction score
A little help

I was about to start a thread about a very similar issue. I am coming from a DX, so the first thing I did was copy my entire SD card over to my computer then copy select files over to the Nexus. The first thing I did after I unlocked it and rooted it was to get all my apps on there and my home screens setup, then make a backup. After messing around for a bit I wanted to run through the factory reset procedure or install a backup (to practice when the custom ROMs arrive), and then re-install of my apps via titanium. Well, as soon as the factory reset completed, all of my backups and even titanium's app backups were all gone. I didn't realize it would totally format the entire drive. Is there a way to partition the hard drive so we can keep things from going away after a factory reset?

What is the point of formatting the hard drive if everything I need to get back up and running is on there. I had already copied the factory images and everything to the internal storage. Am I going to have to backup everything to my computer every time I want to install a new ROM? What if I get stuck in a boot loop and cant reach my files, then have to factory reset, which will lose all of my backups? With the DX, even when you did a factory reset your SD card and all the files were totally safe. Someone please help me out here, I have always had a SD card to save things to.

OP
A

alm0614

Reaction score
the /sdcard/ directory is never touched when doing a wipe or factory reset. The ONLY time that the /sdcard directory is wiped is when you unlock/relock the bootloader

cjriddle22

Reaction score
the /sdcard/ directory is never touched when doing a wipe or factory reset. The ONLY time that the /sdcard directory is wiped is when you unlock/relock the bootloader

What about if clockworkmod was not permanent at the time of the factory reset? Because I did a factory reset to try and fix some issues I was having, and it totally formatted the internal drive. After I got clockworkmod permanently installed, I have since did factory reset and everything in the sdcard directory is still intact. The first time I did a factory reset I did it from within the settings menu, not actually in the recovery menu.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums