Wipe Data on Broken Droid

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Need to wipe data on a Droid with water damage and a dead backlight on the LCD screen... any ideas? I was thinking of trying to access it via USB but haven't found anything when I'm searching... any ideas?

note: the phone seems operational other than the screen, I can even faintly make out certain images on the screen in the right light or with a flashlight, but definitely not clear enough to boot into recovery and factory reset.. (although at this point I keep trying)...

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hi Rich. I'm sorry but noone here is going to help you if you're trying to commit insurance fraud. Sounds to me like you're just going to have to buy a new phone.

OP
richjacksonkc

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Easy with the accusations there...

I already have a new phone.. no insurance fraud here.. I early upgraded to a Droid X... BUT, my original Droid does have water damage, and I'd like to sell it on Ebay for parts, but of course I want to get my data off of it first...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Someone with a droid should be able to give you button press count to do the reset.....My Droid is gone as I got the X as well.....

whitefangs22

Reaction score
I found a flash program in the forums here that allows me to see and interact with the droid while it is plugged in. It basically shows the droid screen as a flash animation on my win 7 laptop. I don't know if it works on broken droids haven't tried it. Its called androidscreenscreencast.jnlp

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry I came off harsh Rich....it's just amazing what some ppl try in here. Hope you get it all worked out! :D

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
You could always use RSDLite to flash it to stock, wont need anything on the screen for that.

xliderider

Reaction score
You could always use RSDLite to flash it to stock, wont need anything on the screen for that.

The Droid still needs to be in bootloader, or whatever the correct mode is called.

Plug Droid into usb, turn power off, turn power on while holding up on the D pad. RSD Lite should detect your Droid.

OP
richjacksonkc

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
well thanks for the suggestions.. I think the phone is completely fried now.. I can't get it to turn on @ all.. it was running super hot (even for a Droid) yesterday when I was messing with it so I think it might have burned out completely.. I'm going to see if I can find a schematic and crack it open to physically remove the onboard memory all together.. wouldn't be so worried but all my passwords etc. are stored on there and I know this has some value for parts..

C4talyst

Reaction score
Hi Rich. I'm sorry but noone here is going to help you if you're trying to commit insurance fraud. Sounds to me like you're just going to have to buy a new phone.

Wow...I found this thread on Google because I'm (innocently) trying to do the same thing. I have to send my Droid w/ broken screen into Asurion and don't want any of my data going with it.

quasidynamic

Reaction score
well thanks for the suggestions.. I think the phone is completely fried now.. I can't get it to turn on @ all.. it was running super hot (even for a Droid) yesterday when I was messing with it so I think it might have burned out completely.. I'm going to see if I can find a schematic and crack it open to physically remove the onboard memory all together.. wouldn't be so worried but all my passwords etc. are stored on there and I know this has some value for parts..

did you ever find out which chip is the memory? i would like to do the same thing as you since even a busted droid x w/ clean esn is worth $100 or more... mine wont turn on at all so it'd have to be a physical hack.

Cheers.