Winter Tips for Your Android Phone from Verizon

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SuperStock_1828R-36856.jpg

We have some great winter weather tips directly from Verizon's Twitter feed to keep you and your Droid safe from the icy clutches of "Old Jack Frost." This is some great advice. It kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and Mom used to bundle me up before going on to wreak havok in the snow.

• Keep your phone fully charged. Cold temperatures can rundown the phone’s battery charge more quickly. Use a car charger to keep the phone’s charge if you get stranded or stuck in traffic on icy or snowy roads. Think about an extra battery as backup.
  • Handle your phone with care. The display screen can become brittle when exposed to cold temperatures for long periods of time.
  • Keep your phone in a warm place; avoid leaving it in an outside pocket or backpack or in the car overnight. When outside in the cold weather, carry your phone in an inside jacket pocket, keeping it close to your body for warmth.
  • Remember you can’t dial or access the keyboard on a touch screen with gloves, so consider adding finger flip gloves to your winter holiday wish list.
Also, they included a list of free winter apps you can download from the Market:
  • Winter Weather Outlooks – Allows you access to the National Weather Service Winter Weather Outlooks, so you’ll know what kind of winter weather is headed your way.
  • How Cold Is It? – A wallpaper that changes color depending on the outside temperature – deep red when it’s hot and icy white when it’s freezing.
  • ShoppeHUB – This app allows you to make secure purchases on cold weather gear, including winter clothing.
  • Coffee Recipes – Choose from more than 90 easy coffee recipes that will be sure to keep you warm.

Source: Verizon Wireless (VZWNetwork) on Twitter
by dgstorm

Beka27

Reaction score
Don't drop in the snow and lose it either!

That too! When I'm getting out of the car or walking somewhere, I always put it in my zippered pocket so I don't drop it, and if for some reason I slip on ice, my phone will hopefully be protected. Last thing I need is for my phone to fall in a puddle of slush! :icon_eek:

doniago

Reaction score
Rather than the finger flip gloves I might suggest conductive gloves like the ones at agloves.com. I just got a pair and am very happy with them so far. They seem to keep my fingers warm as well, though we'll see how they hold up at -20F. The flip gloves don't thrill me as I can't imagine exposing bare fingers (even just the tips) to the kinds of temperatures we get here in winter.

I mean to determine at some point whether I can wear my agloves and wear other gloves on top of them in particularly cold weather.

McATX

Reaction score
My Winter plan is to live where it doesn't get that cold. I grew up in San Diego and never saw snow falling until I was 37.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Finger flip gloves... bah. Isotoner has capacitive friendly FULL finger gloves! Keep your fingers warm AND use your phone!

wierdo124

Reaction score
I hate it when i'm plowing, have my phone on my lap, and get out of the truck..i thought i lost my phone in the snow last weekend.