Windows Apps Coming to Google Chrome Via VMWare

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung_Chromebook_frontview2_webres.jpg

This isn't exactly Android related news, but it is very relevant news for one of Google's competitors, and for the rest of us who use Microsoft products regularly. Apparently, one of the last barriers to making a Google Chromebook as useful and productive as a regular laptop has been crossed/crushed. Through a partnership with VMware, Google has developed a way to use Windows Apps on the Chrome OS. Here's a quote with some of the details,

“Today, customers can fully embrace the cloud with Chromebooks using VMware Horizon DaaS,” Google’s Chrome project lead Rajen Sheth wrote in a post on the company’s blog. “VMware and Google are working together to make the migration of legacy applications even easier, by using the HTML5/Blast experience from Chromebooks. This means you can work with Chromebooks and connect to a Windows experience running VMWare Horizon View.”

In other words, Chromebooks and other PCs running Google’s desktop operating system can use Google and VMWare’s joint solution to run traditional Windows applications on Chrome OS computers.

At a time when Microsoft PC products are already seeing a steady decline, now Chrome OS products threaten to accelerate that even more. Regardless, it's the inevitable march of technology that new tech displaces old tech, and at least now Chromebook users have a way to be even more productivity.

Source: Google Official Enterprise Blog

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I wonder how well they will run. We bought my daughter a chromebook for Christmas and it does everything she could want, except play Minecraft. If I could get Minecraft on the Chromebook though this means, that will be wonderful.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it can run full Office without a hitch, then it's a winner. If I could do that and save $300 or whatever it is not getting Windows pre-loaded on a laptop that's a slam dunk.