Will the GPS work on my Droid X if i travel to a country that i dont get service in?

Reaction score
traveling overseas to iceland and dont have a global phone. wondering if the GPS or google maps will work there.

thanks!

Murphy47

Reaction score
My daughter is currently in London and we are emailing just fine. Don't know about GPS but I assume wifi works everywhere.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Noxian

Reaction score
traveling overseas to iceland and dont have a global phone. wondering if the GPS or google maps will work there.

thanks!

The GPS should get a signal but google maps wont work since it requires data to download map data, you will need something with offline maps or access to wifi.

Also without a cell data connection A-GPS will take a long time to acquire a signal but it will eventually, keep in mind it may not work if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky as the AGPS modules in smart phones are very low power.

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

geoff5093

Reaction score
The GPS should get a signal but google maps wont work since it requires data to download map data, you will need something with offline maps or access to wifi.

Also without a cell data connection A-GPS will take a long time to acquire a signal but it will eventually, keep in mind it may not work if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky as the AGPS modules in smart phones are very low power.

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GPS doesn't transmit, so power is irrelevant. You may be referring to the assisted portion, which probably won't work anyways since you may not have cell service.

wvcadle

Reaction score
I'm here to say that Motorola themselves said that GPS (at least my my Droid X) will not work without data. I have turned airplane mode on, and opened GPS Status, and it will not lock on to my position. It sits and churns for minutes and minutes with no lock.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I'm here to say that Motorola themselves said that GPS (at least my my Droid X) will not work without data. I have turned airplane mode on, and opened GPS Status, and it will not lock on to my position. It sits and churns for minutes and minutes with no lock.
WiFi helps out as well, so if you did need data connecting to certain AP's should get a fix. I've turned data off and used the GPS on my D1 and TB though just fine.