Will the Droid 1 handle Gingerbread?

Josefius

Reaction score
Whoever said Eclair was better then Froyo must be smoking something.

Really doubtful that Droid1 will get the GB update. That's why they are giving us that out dated FRG83B bs substitute. lol Just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure we are, I saw a tweet from one of the main devs for Android yesterday:

morrildl Dan Morrill
RT @dnaltews ignoring mythical "requirements", Gingerbread is generally snappier -- if Froyo runs on a device, Gingerbread should run better.

So yeah, I predict we will, since also this:
Android Update - Certain Droid X and Droid received Android 2.2.1 updates

As for original Droid owners, the Android 2.2.1 update is already rolling out albeit in stages, so there is no way at all to force the update at the moment. Up next, ladies and gents, Android 2.3!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The Droid isn't just a legacy device in the realm of electronics, it's fossilized at this point. No way will it get an OTA, Moto and everyone else too wants people to keep buying more devices, to do this is just bad business.

DanDroidX

Reaction score
This guy, who works for Google
morrill1.png

can be found here on Twitter Twitter
Says this about Gingerbread
morril2.png
\
So who are you going to trust? Some LG idiot, or Google?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No *hard* requirements but practical ones. He also said, "GB H/W needs are similar to FY". I vote Google!! Time will tell though! :dancedroid:

messed up, they resized my image. The dude who works for android says there is no minimum cpu speed.

DroidForums junkie!!

brando56894

Reaction score
Will gingerbread run on a rooted droid? definitelty

Will it be pushed via OTA and run well? I have no idea since my droid hasnt seen stock speeds since I got it 9 months ago :D

Josefius

Reaction score
The quote I posted from the Android lead developer said that there is no minimum "requirement", and that Gingerbread will run better on devices already running Froyo.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
No I don't (though I usually do) and at the moment it's not working.

My phone doesn't seem to like memory compression. There's a thread in the Koush subforum entitled COMP cache or something similar that we're discussing it.

wingdo

Reaction score
That's good to know. I've seen the COMPcache thread on CM forums but haven't paid attention to it as my phone really hates it. Then I saw your post about how it's working great and well I was kinda hoping there was one which didn't require frequent reboots to work correctly. That's my one hatred for COMPcache.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
When it worked it worked beautifully. I also managed a 1681 Quadrant with it going. But then I had some unrelated problems and now it just hot reboots on me when I try to enable it.

bmx24

Reaction score
I've said this in other threads, and I will say it in here.

FRG83D is the FINAL official Droid 1 OS release.

Anything beyond FRG83D will be courtesy of 3rd party developers.

sory to say but ur wroung my friend for one frg83d is like the update the n1 got to prep for g bread and that lg phone will be getting g bread after all and g bread has no hard where standerd's now in not to shure about honey comb but that is not for right now ane way ota or not the og droid will still be getting g bread so where not out of the game just yet :)

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
Ok... so with all that's been said...

Have any Droid 1's received the GB update?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App