will root prevent xoom from update

jms_brwn

Reaction score
I just picked up a new Xoom, Wi-Fi model , the other day off of a local add and it came rooted and unlocked. It runs alright, but I'd like to be able to update to Ics at least... when I go into settings and check for update, it says it up to the current 3.2. So will this root prevent my tablet from updating and is there any way to unroot it? The guy didn't really describe what the benefits of it are and I wouldn't mind getting rid of it if I didn't need it.. any help would be nice.
thanks

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Xoom Forum - Motorola Xoom Forum is a wealth of knowledge for Xoom tabs.

If you indeed do have a US Xoom Wi-Fi version, you should be able to update to JB 4.1.2 but I believe you will need to un-root. Check out the xoomforums and they should be able to get you on the right track. Since you are already rooted, you could install a recovery program and just use custom ROM's from Team EOS and Cyanogen.

OP
J

jms_brwn

Reaction score
I'm hoping i can get to Jelly Bean and i'm fine with unrooting, would the best option be the one step programs..?

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I haven't rooted but I haven't heard anything good with one-click rooting/unrooting on the Xoom. I saw your thread on Xoomforums.com hopefully Grant or one of the experts will chime in. There are some sticky theads on that site that should show you have to unroot.

I never have rooted because JB was good enough for me.

OP
J

jms_brwn

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Redsnk, i just found a sticky on a pretty simple how to, to un root. Before i do this, any closing arguements from anyone in defense to keep my Xoom rooted in 3.2.1?

Redsnk95

Reaction score
No I would unroot, then do a factory reset, then get the updates all the way up to JB 4.1.2 Hope it works out for you.

OP
J

jms_brwn

Reaction score
its been working so far! i didn't do a factory reset tho, will that matter? im on like update #6 no joke and i think i have one or two more... i just got all the way up to date and its running so much smoother. Thanks again, btw, i used the following link to unroot and it was super simple! thanks again!

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Glad you got it working. Check in the system settings about Tablet...once done with all the updates you should be on Android Version 4.1.2 Build Number JZO54K