Will it be possible to tether after 2.1?

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
I am on the fence whether to root or not, I am only after the tethering. Overclocking and extra home screens arent a huge deal to me at this point. When the OTA comes will it still be possible to tether and is this something that verizon will block before the charged tethering plan is released? Along the same note does anyone know if 2.1 OTA will have any apps to tether without being rooted, i know its a long shot but OCing just isnt a big enough deal for me to want to deal with rooting.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its hard to say what vzw will do or motorola.i rooted because i got tired of waiting for vzw to get live wallpapers more screens.rooting makes it to the point where i do not want the update all o want is flash and that's it.

MOT4Droid

Reaction score
Motorola Droid Tethering

PDAnet app works well on mine. Must upgrade to paid version if you want access to secure sites (https) before end of 30 days. Available @ Market.

OP
I

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
This wont let you do a wireless tether though right? I want to be able to set my phone up to allow someone at work to check reference material using my phone without having to have them hook up to it.

OP
I

ISUVetMed

Reaction score
also, will PDAnet still work after verizon releases paid tethering? I dont mind dropping 10 bucks for a useful app like that but I dont want to lose it when big red decides to change how they run stuff.

SGTiger

Reaction score
This wont let you do a wireless tether though right? I want to be able to set my phone up to allow someone at work to check reference material using my phone without having to have them hook up to it.

You have to be rooted to enjoy wireless tether. If you install the OTA update when it first comes out, you will no longer be rooted (if you were rooted). That's why I am going to continue to run a custom rom which disables the OTA update.

Someone will grab the update soon after it's arrival and modify it so you can continue to have root. I don't want to risk having to wait a long time before another exploit is found since the update will patch the previous exploit which allowed root.

I will not give up wireless tether. I have used the USB and the Bluetooth tether with PDAnet, and it works okay. However wireless tether blows those out of the water IMO.