Will Droid work with Novel GroupWise?

jingo74

Reaction score
If anyone who uses GroupWise for work email can chime in, I'd like to know if the Droid will support Novel? Can an email account hosted on a GroupWise server be piped in using IMAP? Also would like to know about using GW calendars on the Droid? Many thanks!

Jason

JFDroid

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone knows if this is possible, too. I have a school e-mail through Novell Groupwise, in addition to my gmail account. Currently, I have my school e-mail forwarded to my g-mail so that I can receive it in my gmail inbox, but with the Droid now, it would be easier to just have my phone set up so that I can have the e-mail show up without being forwarded.

JFDroid

Reaction score
I just checked with ITS at my school. We use Novell Groupwise servers for our e-mail. They said that these types of servers don't support mobile devices, but you can go into options, rules, and set a rule to forward ALL incoming mail to your Gmail account, that way all your Novell Groupwise mail gets to your Gmail, and thus you'll see it pop up on your droid.

The only thing to watch out for is attachments being a little weird sometimes (I've been using the forwarding rule on Novell for over a year now to access my school e-mail on my BlackBerry via the BlackBerry Gmail Plug-In) and also watch out for mailbox space limitations on your Novell Groupwise account. Because of all the forwarding of new mail, your sent folder on Novell gets HUGE really fast and I have to go through and empty it pretty often (2-3x a week) in order to keep my mailbox size in check.

That's what I know... hope it helps someone!

Motosmokeater

Reaction score
minor note. Novell Groupwise did sync with my Palm treo 755P. Both email and calendar. I miss it. It also syncs email. Our It pays a for a service to sync peoples I/phones and novell GW calendars.

BrokenRhino

Reaction score
This would be nice to know. Our IT guy can't get it to work with our GW IMAP servers. Something about IMAP4. Way above my head. Any tips would be nice.

barristerbeany

Reaction score
I currently forward mails from groupwise into gmail. however, novell in is the process of creating a program and they are certifying its use and syncing with the droid. also an independent program is working on it as well

fst aslp

Reaction score
I called out IT guy and he just had to enable POP3 on their end to make it work. I was able to set it up no problem.

Now sometimes my email will stop synching, but I restart and all is well.

investroll

Reaction score
I have been able to get inbound email from Groupwise on my droid via our IMAP server. However, our outbound smtp server won't connect with android devices. Does anyone know any workarounds? It has been suggested that I go to vtext.com and use outgoing.verizon.net, but apparently they have discontinued their smtp service.

I have spent hours with various tech support reps from my university and Verizon.

HELP!

hna0002

Reaction score
Gmail

configure it to use gmail for outboud mails smtp.gmail.com and try out different security types to see which works for you. SSL worked for me.

BUT, recently I faced a problem that for every email that I had sent via droid there were 100s of these emails repeated in my newly created 'sent' folder of groupwise and hence the space got filled up exponentially. May it just happened to me and it works in all other cases, I dont see anythign as issues with anyone else.
Also, 'Notify Technology' is coming up with some gadget for android to use groupwise.

Thanks,
Hiren

investroll

Reaction score
configure it to use gmail for outboud mails smtp.gmail.com and try out different security types to see which works for you. SSL worked for me.

BUT, recently I faced a problem that for every email that I had sent via droid there were 100s of these emails repeated in my newly created 'sent' folder of groupwise and hence the space got filled up exponentially. May it just happened to me and it works in all other cases, I dont see anythign as issues with anyone else.
Also, 'Notify Technology' is coming up with some gadget for android to use groupwise.

Thanks,
Hiren

Thanks! What port did you use? It is not working with SSL. And are you signing in to google mail to do it?

gunnut

Reaction score
So far, the only way I have gotten my work Novell to 'work' has been to log in using the browser.....and by creating a rule to forward the emails....

Renocat

Reaction score

Thanks,
Hiren

Thanks! What port did you use? It is not working with SSL. And are you signing in to google mail to do it?
i set my groupwise up as a pop3 on my Eris and its working great. Incoming was port 110 and outgoing was port 25. no ssl. ymmv

my only issue is I would like to filter out some email sent to my eris. For example, I receive an email when someone opens an email they have sent. I need this when I am in the office, but don't want the open notifications on my Eris. Can't figure out how to handle that one. any suggestions?

ninjahippie

Reaction score
General Droid / Groupwise FAQ

I'm an IT guy with both a Droid :)motdroidvert:) and Groupwise. Here are a few facts that I hope will help the crowd.

Email:
  • Groupwise has it's own protocol, and via it's internet gateway also supports IMAP, POP3 and SMTP.
  • The real purpose of the gateway is to provide SMTP with the rest of the world.
  • All three protocols work just fine with the Droid.
  • IMAP and POP are options that may, or may not be enabled by your administrator.
  • The gateway is usually on a separate server than the actual groupwise server. Many times it's the same server providing groupwise web access.
  • Your access to the gateway may (probably will) be limited to times when you are connected to your organization's network. I.e. you will only be able to get your mail via POP or IMAP when connected to your company's wifi.
  • SMTP will most certainly be configured to not allow relay (spam prevention measure) and will probably only allow you to send messages when attached to your organization's wifi. Connection specific SMTP servers would be a nice touch in the droid email client but sadly are not there (or I have yet to find it).

Calendar:
  • Novell is working on a solution called Activesync that will do OTA syncs. See this page on Novell.com GroupWise: ActiveSync Device Support | Novell User Communities
  • In the meantime there is a hack for your calendar that I have been using for over a year to get appointments into my google calendar. Cool Solutions: Pushing Accepted Appointments to a Google Calendar If you use this hack, the trick to being happy with it is to remember that sending to your google calendar is triggered by accepting apointments. Creating a "posted" appointment will not trigger the rule and it will not show up in Google. The work around is to schedule meetings with yourself and then accept. Also this is one way (GW to Google) and does not delete appointments from Google. You must do that manually.
  • Groupwise 8 has direct support for ICS attachments - have not played with this at all yet.

gwguruman

Reaction score
If anyone who uses GroupWise for work email can chime in, I'd like to know if the Droid will support Novel? Can an email account hosted on a GroupWise server be piped in using IMAP? Also would like to know about using GW calendars on the Droid? Many thanks!

Jason

Yes. See Novell's DataSync solution that does this over the air. I wrote all about this in another DROID Forum thread at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/2029-sync-novell-groupwise-post108020.html

Renocat

Reaction score
My POP3 just stopped.receiving. switched to IMAP and its working fine. Still would like to be able to filter out some emails