Will an iPhone 3 AC adapter fry my Droid?

Leonius

Reaction score
The other day I found my old AC adapter for my old iPhone, and figured since it uses a USB connector it would charge my Droid phone. I usually charge my Droid overnight on my PC. Well I plugged it into the little white cube and it changed to charged fast. I chalked it up to it putting out more power than my PC's USB port, but now its tanked to no battery crazy fast.

Did I screw the pooch? Or is my battery indicator just not quite calibrated right because the change in charge time (and new cyanogen build)?

iPirate

Reaction score
does it have any writing on it telling you the output?

OP
L

Leonius

Reaction score
Ill check when I get home.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jbdow

Reaction score
I wouldn't use it again until you find if the output is the same as what's required.
my d2g is 5v 850ma (milliamps) the ma out can be little more-the device will draw
only what's needed. but any less ma might be a problem. And you certainly don't
want any higher than the required voltage. best to continue using the pc...
or buy the charger made by the phone maker (imnsho)

r, john

OP
L

Leonius

Reaction score
Misplaced it ages ago. Its said 5% battery for ages so I think it was mostly a calibration error. Ill still be doing more research into it later as my upgrade is almost up.

EDIT: Just got home. The little white Iphone3 cube says 5v -- 1A
EDIT2: One of these:
http://www.iphonebuzz.com/iphone-3g-ac-adapter-recalled-over-electrocution-fears-194748.php
though I don't plan on snapping the prongs off in the wall like an idiot. Just found my d1 charger thinger actually. wootles. Whelp I don't think the 150mA difference wouldve killed it, but now I won't have to find out :D
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

jbdow

Reaction score
uh, yeah, if i had known of the battery indicator issue as being pre-existing
i would not have connected it with this event - but independent of that i
think it's a good idea to get the correct charger - no investigation on that is
really neccesary...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I usually charge my Droid overnight on my PC. Well I plugged it into the little white cube and it changed to charged fast. I chalked it up to it putting out more power than my PC's USB port, but now its tanked to no battery crazy fast.
EDIT: Just got home. The little white Iphone3 cube says 5v -- 1A
USB is 500mA. That's why the iPhone adapter was faster. More mA = less charge time. As for the drain, that's unrelated.

I wouldn't use it again until you find if the output is the same as what's required.
my d2g is 5v 850ma (milliamps) the ma out can be little more-the device will draw
only what's needed. but any less ma might be a problem.
Less is slower. OP can charge via USB @ 500mA. I'm not sure what the floor is but under a certain point the battery just can't charge.

Whelp I don't think the 150mA difference wouldve killed it, but now I won't have to find out :D
It's not an issue. The phone will draw what it needs.

Last edited:

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a griffin USB wall charger that I can plug the droid USB cable into to charge my phone and it puts out 1000mA and I can charge up for just around an hour from a dead batery and its fully charged. Same thing with my rapid rate moto car charger and I can last between 14-18 hours of normal usage. Which for me I stream Pandora, browser, droidforums app, voice calls, texts/email. I hope this can help. Setcpu also helps with battery and CPU heat which will drain the battery also

Sent from my rooted D2