Will a D2 from the US work in Australia?

Droid-ster

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Australia next week for work and looking forward to bringing my Verizon Droid 2 along ...especially for internet access and Googles maps for driving around.

Well it occurred to me that there may be compatibility issues that I have not thought of.

Will my D2 work over there?

Phone?
Internet?
Google maps Navigation?

Appreciate any input...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am not sure about that, but the droid world edition that is suppose to be out sometime in november is the droid 2 with a sim card to work internationally.

Reaction score
It all depends on if Australia has CDMA cell phone networks. If not, you won't get any signal. As for GPS working in the country, I don't know if GPS will work there.

aristo1963

Reaction score
Nope oz is gsm,but I did find this tidbit for you.

You can either purchase or Rent GSM Cell Phones (for use not only in Australia but for 190 countries as well) and purchase what is known as a prepaid SIM card for Australia. A SIM card or "chip" is the "brain" of the GSM phone. You simply put an Australian SIM card in a GSM phone and automatically you will have an Australian cell phone number plus coverage in AFor example, calls within Australia are about $0.35 cents per minute, calls back to the US are less than $0.20 and, best of all, incoming calls are always free. That means that if someone from the US wants to reach you on your cellphone while you are in Australia, you will not incur even on cent of a charge. Remarkable, difficult to conceptualize for most Americans, but true and worth mentioning again - you will never pay for an incoming call when using an Australian SIM card. With a prepaid SIM card, you do not need a contract, are charged only when you are placing calls, and you can easily monitor how much you spend. The most efficient thing to do is to purchase or rent a cellphone for overseas, including for use in Australia (tip: if you go overseas once a year or more, it is probably wise to invest in purchasing, and not just renting a cellphone. Also, many of the cellular phones will work in the US as well allowing you to travel worldwide with just one phone) and purchase an Australian SIM card before your departure. That way, not only will you know what your cellphone number is before going to Australia but you will also be ready to make phone calls as soon as you land.