Wifi WPA issues?

thundercats

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any issues when trying to connect to a WPA network? What's strange is I can connect to a wireless network that's either Open, running WEP or WPA2 but not WPA. When I put in the pre-shared key it simply just shows 'Disconnected' status underneath the Wifi setting. Thinking that maybe I could see a little more information on the wireless router side of things I then consoled into the router and took a look at the logs. By looking at the logs, I could see that my Droid would authenticate onto the Wifi and then immediately de-authenticate over and over again (around 20 times per ever 3 seconds).

I was one of the people who pre-ordered their phone from Best Buy and I even did an exchange for another Droid last night and seem to be running into the same issue. The strange thing is that when I went into my local Verizon store I could connect to their WPA2-PSK network without a hitch!

I've read on other forums that several other people are having issues with this as well but I wasn't sure if this was an Android issue or maybe certain people just got bad batches of phones. If it IS an Android 2.0 issue, I didn't see this problem mentioned anywhere in the December 22nd & January 11th OTA updates..

Anyway, if anyone could provide any feedback of any suggestions or if they've simply run into this problem it would be much appreciated!

nite 0wl

Reaction score
I've had similar issues. At the moment it seems the best thing to do is switch to WPA2. I had seen it suggested that part of the issue might be the encryption type (AES versus TKIP).

Soullous

Reaction score
I had seen it suggested that part of the issue might be the encryption type (AES versus TKIP).
That did it for me! I changed my encryption type from AES to TKIP and it works perfectly. Sucks, though, since AES is the more secure of the two. Hopefully this will be fixed by a software update. BTW, I had already been using WPA2. With AES it would connect, but not route traffic through to the router.

nite 0wl

Reaction score
That did it for me! I changed my encryption type from AES to TKIP and it works perfectly. Sucks, though, since AES is the more secure of the two. Hopefully this will be fixed by a software update. BTW, I had already been using WPA2. With AES it would connect, but not route traffic through to the router.

It is unfortunate but somewhat understandable.
The stronger the encryption, the more processing power is required and the more random-ness you need to generate. This has always been an issue for mobile devices, particularly those without traditional hard drives, although Windows has never really supported WPA2 under their wireless manager.

Luckily issues with a specific encryption type (in this case AES) should be relatively easy to sort out since they have already overcome the basic issues. I imagine that if enough people report this to Motorola, etc. they will work out a fix.

OP
T

thundercats

Reaction score
I hope so. Thank you all for your responses as well! Glad to know I'm not going insane over my WPA issue lol.

MABER

Reaction score
total nub question but how do I change the encryption to allow my Droid to access WPA/WPA2 PSK? I have a new Wi-Fi Modem Gateway from Road Runner and I am not allowed into the damn thing to change security settings...:icon_evil:

nite 0wl

Reaction score
total nub question but how do I change the encryption to allow my Droid to access WPA/WPA2 PSK? I have a new Wi-Fi Modem Gateway from Road Runner and I am not allowed into the damn thing to change security settings...:icon_evil:
If you provide the modem/AP model information someone might be able to help you but you would probably be better off using the Time Warner support site or calling their local support number.