Wifi turns off - interrupts music stream

Algae998

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been having this issue with my wifi and havent found a solution for it yet. I listen to music streams likes pandora and XiiaLive, but shortly after my screen turns off the wifi disconnects and the music stops to rebuffer with 3G. Once I turn my screen back on, the music stops again to reconnect to the wifi and rebuffer. A half hour of this and it gets pretty annoying. I like to use wifi rather than 3G when available. I have my wifi sleep policy set to never. This is not router specific and happens on any wireless that I am connected to.
Any ideas?

louy99

Reaction score
Weird. Never happens to me...I use wifi or 3g depending where I am and it never stops with the screen turning off or on. Is your phone stock or rooted and romed?

Sent from my DROID2

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
My phone is stock, I haven't rooted my phone yet, still on the fence about that.
The wifi doesn't turn off immediately with the screen, usually 10 mins afterwards. Ill try having it plugged in and see if it gives me the same issues, I'm not sure if the battery usage is timing out the wifi.

sa1

Reaction score
This happens to me as well. I will connect to my router and after a few minutes of idling, the wifi won't disconnect, but actually turn off. Sleep policy is set to never as well- stock. I'm thinking of trying for a replacement since I haven't found a solution yet.. anyone have one?

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
I tested having the phone plugged in and listening to music, as far as I could tell it never disconnected. The sleep policy must not be getting over ruled by the phone ideling. I had mine plugged into my computer and not the outlet, not too sure if that would make a difference tho..

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not a single handset issue. WiFi will D/C after about 10 minutes of idle. It does it everytime for me, rooted, stock, stock rooted, doesn't matter.

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
So I guess the only way to listen to pandora, xiialive or any other music stream via wifi is to have the phone plugged in so it doesnt go to idle. That kinda sucks, but Im usually listening to music while on my computer or something so outlets are nearby.

Batfan.com

Reaction score
Actually, all you have to do is edit the wifi sleep policy.

Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-fi settings > Press the menu button and select 'Advanced'

Under 'Wi-fi Sleep Policy', select 'Never'

That should fix it

OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
In my first post I listed I have the wifi sleep policy set to never, but that doesn't seem to work. It works only when its plugged in to ac/usb.

joshuainco

Reaction score
I thought of this after someone said that it doesn't do it when plugged in, battery saver turns off when plugged in

Battery saver will disrupt all sending and receiving with wifi after a preset time if you have it enabled, such as email updates and music streaming.

When you change the battery mode out of performance mode a warning pops up saying that data transfers may be interrupted when battery save is enabled. so this is where to change it

Settings>Battery Manager>Battery mode>Performance mode

or make a custom battery saver (the small settings icon to the right of custom battery saver)

so it will not interrupt wifi when it will be streaming, set the times of day it will be steaming. I have been streaming on battery for 30 min now with no interruption.

update:
I have been streaming for a few hours now with no problems.

Last edited:
OP
Algae998

Algae998

Reaction score
Thanks, looks promising, ill give it a shot.

Pithecanthropus

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I like to listen to NPR in the afternoons, and the streaming issue is so bad that I've dusted off my old WinMo phone, the one that I thought I would be ditching forever, just so I can use the FM radio tuner that it came with.

I'm on the fence about rooting, too. It all seems insanely complicated. What's worse is that Android Central gives posters an unlimited edit window, so you can edit something a year later. With each new Android update or device firmware, it seems like the rules change, and you never know if the people who know this stuff and post these long lists of instructions really do go back and revise everything that needs to be revised.

Batfan.com

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I like to listen to NPR in the afternoons, and the streaming issue is so bad that I've dusted off my old WinMo phone, the one that I thought I would be ditching forever, just so I can use the FM radio tuner that it came with.

I'm on the fence about rooting, too. It all seems insanely complicated. What's worse is that Android Central gives posters an unlimited edit window, so you can edit something a year later. With each new Android update or device firmware, it seems like the rules change, and you never know if the people who know this stuff and post these long lists of instructions really do go back and revise everything that needs to be revised.

Have you tried adjusting the Wifi sleep policy? That does not require root.

joshuainco

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. I like to listen to NPR in the afternoons, and the streaming issue is so bad that I've dusted off my old WinMo phone, the one that I thought I would be ditching forever, just so I can use the FM radio tuner that it came with.I'm on the fence about rooting, too. It all seems insanely complicated. What's worse is that Android Central gives posters an unlimited edit window, so you can edit something a year later. With each new Android update or device firmware, it seems like the rules change, and you never know if the people who know this stuff and post these long lists of instructions really do go back and revise everything that needs to be revised.
Did you try turning Battery saver to performance mode, The instructions on this are a few posts back on this thread, I am running 2.2 on a Droid R2 and since I changed my battery saver setting the wifi has not disconnected. Make sure the wifi disconnect policy is set to never also, but then change the battery saver mode to performance, both of these, independent of each other will turn off wifi.A way to check if it will work would be to plug it in and stream for a while, if it never disconnects then its the battery saver, because when plugged in battery saver is not working. Hope this helps, I only have my phone to test it on, so i don't know for sure if all phones will work with this fix but its pretty easy to check.

Pithecanthropus

Reaction score
Have you tried adjusting the Wifi sleep policy? That does not require root.

As a matter of fact I have tried that, having learned about it from this thread. But before reporting my results, I should mention first that there are really two problems. When I mentioned listening to NPR in the afternoons, I'm usually out running errands when I do that. Since I don't want the phone to be spending its juice searching for WLANs in any street where I happen to be, does disabling sleep cause it to do that? I do have "Network Notification" disabled, so I think (hope?) not. And more importantly, will disabling Wifi sleep solve the problem when I'm away from the house using the 3G network?

By contrast, at home I do want to use my WLAN for reasons that should be fairly obvious. Trying out the sleep disabling trick for the first time last night, I found that it worked really well for about a half-hour, then quit as usual. Sometimes when this happens the memory, which isn't all that great at .5GB, is about 2/3 pegged, and sometimes the only way to clear it is to restart the phone, although more typically I can go into Memory Boost and shut some apps down. This morning the problem occurred again, and it didn't appear to be a memory issue, because the Memory Boost meter showed that it was only a third pegged, which is typical immediately after booting the phone. So I restarted the phone, and this is where it gets really aggravating: even though I had ear buds plugged in, and I have Silent Boot downloaded and enabled, it blasted out its annoyingly loud boot tune. (If you don't think something as small as a mobile phone can "blast", try it in the early morning when you don't want to wake up your SO or any cats that might be in the room).

The bottom line is that streaming isn't working very well, whether I'm using the carrier's 3G network or my home network. At this point I'm not sure if this is really two problems, or just two flavors of one problem.

What's the point of owning an Android when it doesn't seem to work properly, except as an ordinary telephone and MP3 player? Being able to use TuneIn or IHeartRadio, which wouldn't run on WinMo 6.x, was one of the major reasons I wanted an Android. In spite of that deficiency in the much maligned WinMo OS, I can use it to stream many of the stations I want via either a third party app that can play .pls files, or by Windows Media Player, which can play .asx streams. (The caveat was that there has to be an .asx or .pls stream available from the station I want to listen to.) Within these limitations, the Windows device never let me down. If the carrier's network was there, there was never any problem; by contrast, my new phone drops streams whether a network is there or not. And all this that I've recounted is with simple audio-only streams. I think at broadband speeds I should be able to stream AV as well, whether TV in realtime, or just a downloadable program on HBO-Go. I certainly can do that on my PC, and while I understand that the phone doesn't have the same processing power or RAM of my PC, I'd think an app designed for mobile devices and screens only a few inches in length would be able to adjust the resolution and throughput requirements accordingly.

Last edited: