WiFi tethering. Please help a Newb!

choodak

Reaction score
Hey guys ive had my D2G for a little while now and im just starting to find out about all these sweet little gadgets. what im trying to do is get the WiFi tethering so i can use my cell phone to give me internet access on my laptop. i tried to follow some directions on here how to do all that but when i turn my wifi tether program on i cant find anything on my laptop. Please Help!

so far i dowloaded and installed the Z4 Root, and i believe someone told me to download the ASTRO app, then i downloaded the "WiFi Tether" App. I dont know what else needs to be done. thanks guys. so far everything on here has been really helpful.

Brian1

Reaction score
So Z4root installed and when you are the wifitether app it ask for root permissions and so forth? Which version of the wifitether you install? Brian

OP
C

choodak

Reaction score
correct. i gave all permissions for that then installed the wifi tether. im running version 3.0.

Brian1

Reaction score
I figured that was the cause. Use one of the older version of the wifiteher app like 2.0.7. 2.08 may work but 2.0.7 works for me. Brian

OP
C

choodak

Reaction score
ok i will try that in a bit. thanks brian. Now is there anything else that i need to do? so I'll download the new version, turn on the wifi tether, then when i search for the available wireless networks on my laptop i should see my droid pop up on there?

snowride20

Reaction score
2.0.7 also works for me. Did the Z4root work? You can get a free app from the market called root checker. My computer always finds it as android tether. Try downloading the app again from a different link.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

snowride20

Reaction score
Also make sure you turn on wifi encryption. I also have to restart my phone to turn it off as it seems to be discoverable for a while after I use it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
C

choodak

Reaction score
tethering

ok i've tried all those things and still no luck =(. can someone post a link to the version 2.0.7 so i can download? i cant find it in the market. Also, one thing i find strange is when i start my tethering program, the download and upload stats on the bottom dont show anything, just 0.0kB. is that right? also, when i try to stop tethering, a message pops up saying "unable to start tethering, is your phone rooted?" then another message pops up saying "phone in unkown state, try to reboot" im all sorts of confused..ha

OP
C

choodak

Reaction score
ok so i found the right version and installed it and was able to find it on my laptop but when i tried to connect it said "windows is unable to connect to the ANDROID TETHER network. the network may no longer be in range. refresh the list of available wireless networks and try to connect again. any ideas?

OP
C

choodak

Reaction score
and another weird issue is when i turn on the tether app, i got to the menu page, and the access-control is not checked. and i dont even have an option to turn it on. it wont let me click it...

biknut1

Reaction score
Wifi

ok so i found the right version and installed it and was able to find it on my laptop but when i tried to connect it said "windows is unable to connect to the ANDROID TETHER network. the network may no longer be in range. refresh the list of available wireless networks and try to connect again. any ideas?

You might try unrooting again using Z4Root. When that is successful try rooting another time, maybe try it twice in a row. Then when you run Wifi Tether, it should load right up. When i9t does, your computer should find it with no problems. Sometimes you have to do some steps over a time or two to get them to work right. Hope that helps!

michael7168

Reaction score
All I did for my wife's d2 was use z4 for root and then install barnacle wifi tether from market and success. Barnacle is the best app for froyo

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums