WIfi question

Sbeck

Reaction score
If I turn WiFi on and connect to a network, will I still get phone calls and text messages over the 3G???

Sent from my DROIDX

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yes, only your data will be via WiFi not 3G.

lizard

Reaction score
If not, there's a problem.

Sent from my Squidlied Droid2 using Droid Forums app.....

OP
S

Sbeck

Reaction score
I'm trying to snag a small bit torrent file off my wifi using aBTC while using 3G for everything else and NOT do the torrent over 3G!!!

Sent from my DROIDX

kevinkar

Reaction score
If you have Wi-Fi turned on, all data traffic goes through that pathway except for phone calls and text messages. This includes file transfers. If you turn Wi-Fi off, then data is passed over 3G which is pretty slow in comparison.

To test, install the Speedtest app and turn the Wi-Fi on. Run Speedtest and you should see transfer speeds close to the max you get over your internet connection (mine, for example gets about 10Mbps). Turn Wi-Fi off and try it again. You'll see whatever your 3G network provides which is likely in the 1Mbps range. Pretty slow.

So, if Wi-Fi is on and you run a file transfer like you want, you should be using the Wi-Fi connection and it should be pretty fast.

Kevin

CxUNG

Reaction score
With wifi on yes you can both get phone calls and data like tmobile and at&t use data service and still recieve calls and text. Without wifi on cant be recieving.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP