Wifi keeps dropping or network errors

Javrixx

Reaction score
I got my Droid phone only about a week ago, but been having this problem on and off since I've had it.

At random times my phone just seems to have a dead connection. It says it is connected to my wifi, but I just get network errors when I try to do anything.

Eventually the phone drops the wifi and goes to 3G. At this point I go into wifi and there are no routers being detected by the phone. I tell it to scan, but nothing happens. Normally there is my router and 4 others within range.

Next, I turn off wifi and then turn it back on. It sees all routers and automatically connects to mine. Everything works for about 20 seconds and we repeat the process.

As I mentioned, this happened within the first day or two of having the phone. At first I thought it was the router, so I changed the settings to be both B & G, channel 11, and confirm I'm using a WEP key.

Secondly, I assigned my droid a static IP and registered its mac address in the router. This seemed to solve the problem for a few days but I'm now having the problem again today. I've tried going back to a dynamic IP, lower channels, etc. But the process is always the same, loses connection, loses all routers in range, won't scan, I turn off wifi and we repeat.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating. I have a Belkin WGR614 v6. I've tried just about everything I know so I'm open to any suggestions.

One other big thing, this is happening on both my droid and my fiance's droid. The exact same thing happens. This would lead me to believe it is my router, and I'm open to that possibility, but why won't the droids scan and pickup any other routers? Why does this seem to happen randomly and work randomly?

frayed

Reaction score
Are you running 2.1 or 2.0.1 reason I ask is I am running 2.1 (forced) and I just started having the same problem after the update

OP
J

Javrixx

Reaction score
2.0.1. Haven't got the 2.1 update yet

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think wifi just sucks on the droid. I get a lot of wifi drops when watching Youtube videos for some reason. And it's definitely not because my signal is weak as my router is right next to me...I moved it closer just because of wifi dropping problems.

OP
J

Javrixx

Reaction score
Yeah I'm about 5 to 10 feet away from the router because it is in my room. Anyone have any suggestions or something?

porr1

Reaction score
wifi not working

I cannot connect to my home wifi network any suggestions please.
I installed the force 2.1 could that be the problem please help

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got my Droid phone only about a week ago, but been having this problem on and off since I've had it.

At random times my phone just seems to have a dead connection. It says it is connected to my wifi, but I just get network errors when I try to do anything.

Eventually the phone drops the wifi and goes to 3G. At this point I go into wifi and there are no routers being detected by the phone. I tell it to scan, but nothing happens. Normally there is my router and 4 others within range.

Next, I turn off wifi and then turn it back on. It sees all routers and automatically connects to mine. Everything works for about 20 seconds and we repeat the process.

As I mentioned, this happened within the first day or two of having the phone. At first I thought it was the router, so I changed the settings to be both B & G, channel 11, and confirm I'm using a WEP key.

Secondly, I assigned my droid a static IP and registered its mac address in the router. This seemed to solve the problem for a few days but I'm now having the problem again today. I've tried going back to a dynamic IP, lower channels, etc. But the process is always the same, loses connection, loses all routers in range, won't scan, I turn off wifi and we repeat.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating. I have a Belkin WGR614 v6. I've tried just about everything I know so I'm open to any suggestions.

One other big thing, this is happening on both my droid and my fiance's droid. The exact same thing happens. This would lead me to believe it is my router, and I'm open to that possibility, but why won't the droids scan and pickup any other routers? Why does this seem to happen randomly and work randomly?

I've had this problem since Day1 and I also had it with the Blackberry Storm 2. Some days are so so. Some are horrible.

markwebb

Reaction score
I am also having wifi issues. Pre 2.1 update, I couldn't connect. For a few days after the 2.1 update, it connected. Now, I can't connect again. Btw, I am not rooted.

I am wondering if some apps are creating a problem. Since then I have "app'd" Home ++, Easy Tether, Dolphin Browser (have since removed it) Fring,, new Maps to name a few.

Anyone do a factory re-set and start from scratch? I know ..... a major pain. I might try it.

Last edited:

Chris-pee

Reaction score
I use wifi onaverage of three different places a day.I never have any I issues. Im running bugless beast 2.1 v0.9. But before I rooted I never had any issue with wifi.

Last edited:

subsynth

Reaction score
I've been having wifi issues lately this week as well.
Stock 2.1 received update OTA last Saturday.

Sometimes it will not automatically connect to my saved wifi networks (home, friends house, etc)
sometimes I will have to go into wifi and select the network I want to connect othertimes I will have to cycle wifi on and off for it to find it again.

I tried clearing out the network and logging back in (forgetting it and then saving it again)

still have problems.

c_law23

Reaction score
same here, mine never really seems to work.. unless i'm just misinformed maybe.

If you are connected to a network via wifi shouldn't the wifi symbol be in the notification bar? when you turn wifi on does it take precedence, if available, over the 3g network? anyway, ill turn mine on but the symbol never seems to stay.