wifi connects but can't do anything with it [bionic]

benjamingrantdu

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have the droid bioinic and in general I'm pleased with it but about a week ago wifi stopped working. It connects fine, and shows that it's connected, but won't let me connect to any pages. I have to turn off my wifi connections and use 4G/3G to access the internet. I'm using it on the same network I'm currently using my laptop, so the network isn't the issue. Moreover, I've used it on other networks too and the same problem exists on all of them. Any thoughts as to what's going on/how I can resolve it? thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Ben

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you tried forgetting the network on your Bionic?

OP
B

benjamingrantdu

Reaction score
yep, network has been forgotten and re-added, router reset, etc. It's not network specific though.

OP
B

benjamingrantdu

Reaction score
No, I'm not running any roms nor have I changed any fundamental settings

jbs6172

Reaction score
No, I'm not running any roms nor have I changed any fundamental settings

Seems to be a problem with Bionics.

I've been unable to successfully use wifi on my Bionic since I bought it about a month ago. I've spent countless hours speaking to Verizon support and searching the internet for clues, tips, tricks, hints, workarounds and everything else..to no avail. I even swapped out the phone and the same issue still exists. Yet, every other wifi device in my home works flawlessly, including an ipod touch, an iphone, an ipad, 3 laptops, 2 desktop computers, a bluray player, a wii and several tvs. You can't tell me that it's my router that's defective when one device doesn't work but ten or more others do.

People will try to tell you to trade in your phone for another one but it won't clear up the issue. There is clearly something wrong with either the Bionic firmware or the Android OS that makes it incompatible with certain types of wifi routers and/or certain types of wifi security, but I'll be damned if I can narrow it down to a single one.

My Bionic works fine at my office, but not at my home. It'll work fine at one public wifi hotspot, but not at another. The only time I've been able to get it to work on my home network is by disabling all types of wifi security on my home wifi network - which is obviously not acceptable. It got to be so much of a hassle in fact, having to enable,disable wifi, that I just turned it off entirely. I'm crossing my fingers that a Verizon update will be pushed out in the near future that will *hopefully* correct the issue.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..